Sign in to follow this  
wagoon

Bonnet clearence ideas for crossflow

So I have an xe and the setup when finished will be an aussie speed manifold, 500 holley and 1 inch spacer on a crossflow. I got the holley off an xf which was on a standard manifold and small aircleaner no spacer and it had damaged the bonnet. So I am trying to come up with ideas for bonnet clearence. The car is a second car but will be used on the road with the family in the car so I dont want police attention ie no airfliter through bonnet :( . I am thinking of running a cold air tray like the brock commodores of the eightys. So what I would like is ideas no matter how crazy as I like out of the box ideas, but it must have enough clearance for the airfliter and not look like a ricer mod. Things I have already considered: reverse cowl like on xdrift, xw phase 2 bonnet scoop(probably not big enough), universal bonnet scoop, ba bonnet buldge (not wide enough?)

post-647-0-41867400-1383295874_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-27627500-1383296048_thumb.jpg

post-647-0-96704800-1383296393_thumb.jpg

a drop down base air cleaner may help.  You can also lower the engine significantly with a custom sump and cutting the lower engine mounts that fix to the chassis.  You would be surprised at how much you can get the engine down with these two mods.  you can also elongate the engine mounts to the block and get the engine a bit lower again.  all these little things add up and may well give you the clearance you need. 

You could use a right angle hat that alot of turbo/ centrifugal supercharger guys use ( I think kruptor used one on his vk, correct me if I'm wrong) and plumb it into an air box

Sly the BA bump looks no where near wide enough for a crossflow setup like in the middle pic or is it just the angle of the pic? How wide is your cowl? Guess I should of remembered earlier I posted this so I could have read all your ideas :)

Thom I have had a look at the hat idea but I thought a naturally aspirated carby engine needed a plenum type area to draw air from which is the size of an air filter any way like in the pic below.

Ando I had not considered lowering the mounts but this car will be used in some racing event that will require scrutineering, would custom mounts require any special approval or if they look safe they are good enough? With the drop base filter will it hurt performance at all?

Agent cause I am thinking of using the cold air tray under the bonnet there does not need to be an orifice in the bonnet just clearence.

post-647-0-36514900-1383432170_thumb.jpg

I have noticed no loss in performance with a drop down base and extreme top filter on the dyno.  Mine makes the same with or without aircleaner but it does richen up the idle a fraction. 

Properly done I doubt anyone would even notice if you lowered the engine mounts.  I would suggest that you bevel your cuts and fill and then sand/ linish them on the outside.  The chassis mounted engine mounts I am talking about.  You could also run a nice weld around the inside of these mounts and no one would ever know.  There is also plenty of room to set the engine back a bit while you are going - if you have a custom sump.  Some racing classes frown on that but hey rules were meant to be pushed/broken.

Most 'racing' classes require some form of engine mount strap or chain anyway but I would be modifying the rubberised engine mounts.  I'm a big fan of solid engine mounts on cars with big torque as in my opinion they help transmit all the torque, but there are plenty that will disagree.  it's just my thing I guess.  You can just weld a 4mm strap on the top half of the engine mount and drill a hole in the strap so that the engine mount bolts passes through it.  This ties them down but still provides a small amount of dampening.  Choice is yours.

Sly the BA bump looks no where near wide enough for a crossflow setup like in the middle pic or is it just the angle of the pic? How wide is your cowl? Guess I should of remembered earlier I posted this so I could have read all your ideas :)

Thom I have had a look at the hat idea but I thought a naturally aspirated carby engine needed a plenum type area to draw air from which is the size of an air filter any way like in the pic below.

Ando I had not considered lowering the mounts but this car will be used in some racing event that will require scrutineering, would custom mounts require any special approval or if they look safe they are good enough? With the drop base filter will it hurt performance at all?

Agent cause I am thinking of using the cold air tray under the bonnet there does not need to be an orifice in the bonnet just clearence.

It was there to cover a xflow with a 650 DP and 6" air cleaner that went thru the bonnet.I wouldn't have used it otherwise...The reverse cowl was designed by me and made by a guy in Melbourne to suit the off set carby and is only 3"tall but wider to suit.

eBay Ben's Fibreglass bits for a new 1 if you like as he made a few to suit.

The scoop on top has a much much shorter path and can be sealed against under bonnet heat & air if we are getting anal about it but again it is a cop magnet which is something I'm glad to be getting away from TBH.  

Sly I like your reverse cowl for the fact it is so low. I will still be able to see over it as well. I will check out ebay thanks

Ando the class of "racing" will be nothing serious so it should be ok if I can get it to look standard. Lowering the engine will also help as my racing involves corners so the lower centre of gravity will help :D  I shall check out the drop plate and the engine strap thanks

Thank you everyone for your assistance, this place continues to come through with ideas