Sign in to follow this  
ZJ 'lane

Fuel return line

ok, we've managed to get the XE motor running in the ZJ.

However, the weber on the XE motor has a fuel return where the original carby didn't.

We need to fabricate up a return fuel line.  What's the best material to use?  Anything we need to look at for?

You could run either steel bundy tube or if you can secure it out of the way of getting ripped off, use rubber line.  Cheaper and easier,. 

Can't remember what XF's had, maybe find a whole intact line and put it in.

The old carby was the original single barrel (as per XD).  Not worth fitting it....

The XE motor has the two barrel Weber on it.  Much better....  :)

The local wreckers has a few XFs.  I'll go and have a look and see what they have.

I dont remember my xf having a return line from the carb just the pump?

They changed pumps between XE and XF, that might be why?

I'd definitely use metal for a fuel line, especially if its close to the motor, heard many stories of fuel leaks causing underbonnet fires, usually due to non metal fuel lines.

ZJs and XDs didn't run a return line from my memory, its probably not needed on the weber carb even. i am sure i have just plugged that line in the past on similar conversions(XD, cortina  and transit van)

The return line was added midway through xe, in 83 i think, for two reasons, to reduce the chance of vapour lock, and to reduce pressure on the needle & seat.

a good way to get around putting in a full line to the tank, is to plumb the return into the inlet with a T piece, before the pump, but with a restrictor such as a standard weber jet pushed into the return before the T.