mcfly94

Adjustable watts link?

Hey guys, every knows the problem with coil sprung falcons that the diff does not sit correctly and one wheel is in a different position compared to the other in correspondence to the arches.

I was thinking it had something to do with the watts link.

Would it be possible to make a adjustable set of arms to pull the diff back to centre?

And would anyone be able to tell the dimensions of factory the factory watts link?

I think I would only need to add about +-20mm of adjustment max to correct the problem, so I should be able to draw something up on cad.

Fit an AU rear cover mate, if youve lowered the rear that will probably be your issue.  I know mine was hella bent over with the XF cover on it.  The prob is that when the diff goes up  (IE your car goes down) the diff housing rolls forward and the cover is no longer parallel to the body mounts at the other ends of the watts link arms, so it get a horrid twist in it.

And would anyone be able to tell the dimensions of factory the factory watts link?

I think I would only need to add about +-20mm of adjustment max to correct the problem, so I should be able to draw something up on cad.

Are you saying your diff is 20mm further away from the arch on one side compared to the other?

F U C K ! ! !

Something is wrong.

Is one arm on the watts link bent? Maybe bend the on on the side closest to the arch....haha, no.

If you're looking at the Watts pivot, they arent central anyway

I made this for my modified so that I can change rear role centre.  Since this photo I have added another two holes, one on top, one on the bottom.

iphone_044.jpg

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but.  sounds like you want  different length arms to correct an alignment issue???

mabe your springs are in the wrong sides, i think the right spring is a tiny bit higher to allow for the spare tyre or something.

I think you are thinking about commodore type link. the falcons use the watts link which is very good at keeping the diff in center plane. Manufacturing tolerances and the age of the cars could lead to the track been out a few mm but its USUALLY not worth a conversion.

To answer your question:

Absolutely. I am planning on doing this modification at the same time i take my car off the road for the fuel system upgrade. 

To make the track adjustable you only need to modify a single arm. If the car is lowered you can just cut, sleeve and weld the second arm to change the fixed length of it.
Assuming there is enough clearance i'll be modifying the chassis end of the arm to keep the un-sprung weight down. cut the bush receiver off and the required amount off the arm. Get a piece of thick walled tube with an ID the same as the OD of the factory arm. and have a thread turned into it, then sleeve it and weld it onto the arm. for the cut off end end a piece of bar with the male thread welded onto the the bush receiver. Alternatively you can use rose joints in place of the bush. I anticipate it will be cheaper and less difficult than the lower trailing arms were to make.

But at the moment i have a 4x4 diff and front end to build, so it will be a few weeks (months?) before the next falcon upgrade.