xebruce

cams

Just done up the heads on my 302c no porting or anything just new valves, seats, guides, springs etc.  Don't know anything about cams and need some options. Its got a 570 street avenger carb, performer intake. 2v closed chamber heads. headers with twin pipes two cobys and an H pipe. Going to replace cam, lifters and timing gear. Its got a c4 and the  factory diff it used to be a manual 6cyl efi xe ghia.

Its just a weekend car not an everyday driver, something to put a smile on my face after driving my shitty diesel bighorn all week.

I'd love to hear suggestions on this as well, I've got the same set up as you even with the 570 avenger. After something that sounds a bit tough but it will primarily be a cruiser.

comp DEH265 would probably suit.... you could go a DEH275 if you wanted more hp.... just depends how hard you want to rev it, the 265 works better in a 302, it has a bit of extra torque, works better with the 570 as well.

you are going to get a hundred and one different opinions.... everyone has their own preferences, for me the DEH series is what i use in clevos with unported heads and midrange power, it has more lift on the exhaust and more duration, so it seems to help the poor exhaust port on a clevo.

if you abuse it, you will blow the diff, just warning you lol, but id expect that anyway. :)

depending on comp ratio etc, you should get close to 350hp and 350ftlbs (with the DEH265), which will make the 302 feel pretty close torque wise to a 351, though a lot more hp then a stock 351.

i know thom likes the 268H by comp, hes used it a few times so he can explain its performance better than i can.

I do like the 268h for streeters and tow vehicles, but in a 302 they are a dud (cam is designed for low down and in a 302 it's just to small by the time you get the rpm to make the cam happy your starting to run out of heads but they do sound mega tough in a 302 you are better off with a deh), stick with the deh series cam far nicer in a 302

went on the comp cams site and typed in 265deh. Whats the difference between them all or are they for different makes. whats the 302 Cleveland part number for these. Cheers guys

they sound awesome but dont perform as well as the deh265 in your application...

i havent found a cam that outperforms the DEH in mild street applications yet that is close to its specs, something about the timing just seems to work....

you have to remember what you are working with, if you had a good set of heads, intake and carb, and a 351 that was comfortable at 6000+rpm id say go a comp 290HR, but its not going to work in your application....

Big limitations with stock heads

Too small? They flow as much as some good alloy WINDSOR heads. Your comp will be low dude so for a safe reliable tune i'd go for a single pattern cam around 210 degrees.

A 23 year old kid might be good at putting together a  horse power hero but have no idea when it comes to tractability and the concept of dynamic compression. This is coming from an old head that has sniffed his fair share of exhaust fumes.

Big limitations with stock heads

Too small? They flow as much as some good alloy WINDSOR heads. Your comp will be low dude so for a safe reliable tune i'd go for a single pattern cam around 210 degrees.

A 23 year old kid might be good at putting together a  horse power hero but has no idea when it comes to tractability and the concept of dynamic compression. This is coming from an old head that has sniffed his fair share of exhaust fumes.

Let me clarify what I said, stock heads with no port work have limitations, the most important part of the port is all Ballsed up around the valve guide and short turn radius, yes clevo's have large Ports bits terrible airspeed inter the are pocket ported and some attention is given to the short turn radius on the exhaust which is why split pattern cams work well on stock heads

<br />Big limitations with stock heads<br /><br /><br /> <br />Too small? They flow as much as some good alloy WINDSOR heads. Your comp will be low dude so for a safe reliable tune i'd go for a single pattern cam around 210 degrees.<br /> A 23 year old kid might be good at putting together a horse power hero but have no idea when it comes to tractability and the concept of dynamic compression. This is coming from an old head that has sniffed his fair share of exhaust fumes.

<br />I've never built a race engine in my life every engine I've ever built has been either a pure street engine or a street strip setup, and what's age got to do with it?<br />

I only ever used one single pattern the rest were split pattern cams on both Clevo's I had and those 2 had about 7 cams go thru em looking for more from em.But I'll agree the split pattern cams worked best on these engines stock or worked.

My 302 has a Crow 206/214 @ 0.050", might be a little mild for what you want. Torque is great, comes in at 2000, really starts to come alive at 3500, and it's all over by 5500, though I'm running stock manifolds and dual 2-1/4" pipes.

I'd suggest running a diff ratio shorter than 2.92 as for me, it's too tall and I get caught off the boil too much when driving in the suburbs, especially with a manual box. I'm about to fit a 3.27, which should bring it to life a bit.

Next step up in cams is 214/214 @ 0.050". Any more than this and you'll start to have a big hole in your torque curve, and remember everything happens a few hundred rpm later in a 302 than in a 351.

A 23 year old kid might be good at putting together a  horse power hero but has no idea when it comes to tractability and the concept of dynamic compression. This is coming from an old head that has sniffed his fair share of exhaust fumes.

i've put together over 10 clevos alone. most of them are driven regularly, and i've sorted out combos for 30+ other engines next time you refer to me, make damn sure you know who you are talking about before you shit talk

as for horsepower hero... dude its 350hp.... motor will be awesome on the street, the torque curve is massive on these cams and the hp band is wide as well. peak torque will be about 4-4500rpm (and yes it has a nice smooth curve, peak and decrease) and peak hp around 5-5500 on a 302. part throttle driveability will be fantastic at all stages of throttling, i have used these cams as well so i am speaking from experience. it's not going to have a flat torque off idle, but it'll build strong and be a really fun motor to drive, but in saying that i wouldn't use it for towing. (its a 302 who would)

as for dynamic compression, i learnt that when i was 15 so thanks bud, not all of us are idiots.

as for single pattern cams on stock clevos... yeh maybe if you want a borderline stock performance, or have a good flowing exhaust, which a stock 2v does not.

also agree with 3.27 diff gears, that'll waken it right up.

My 302 has a Crow 206/214 @ 0.050", might be a little mild for what you want. Torque is great, comes in at 2000, really starts to come alive at 3500, and it's all over by 5500, though I'm running stock manifolds and dual 2-1/4" pipes.

I'd suggest running a diff ratio shorter than 2.92 as for me, it's too tall and I get caught off the boil too much when driving in the suburbs, especially with a manual box. I'm about to fit a 3.27, which should bring it to life a bit.

Next step up in cams is 214/214 @ 0.050". Any more than this and you'll start to have a big hole in your torque curve, and remember everything happens a few hundred rpm later in a 302 than in a 351.

302 and 250 crossflow have many similarities, I have the same problems as you Gerg but way worse, I literally never get on cam around town. 1,700kg, BW51 and 2.77 will do that :(

My cam is very similar to yours in duration, what kind of economy are you getting mate????

i've put together over 10 clevos alone. most of them are driven regularly, and i've sorted out combos for 30+ other engines next time you refer to me, make damn sure you know who you are talking about before you shit talk

as for horsepower hero... dude its 350hp.... motor will be awesome on the street, the torque curve is massive on these cams and the hp band is wide as well. peak torque will be about 4-4500rpm (and yes it has a nice smooth curve, peak and decrease) and peak hp around 5-5500 on a 302. part throttle driveability will be fantastic at all stages of throttling, i have used these cams as well so i am speaking from experience. it's not going to have a flat torque off idle, but it'll build strong and be a really fun motor to drive, but in saying that i wouldn't use it for towing.

as for dynamic compression, i learnt that when i was 15 so thanks bud, not all of us are idiots.

as for single pattern cams on stock clevos... yeh maybe if you want a borderline stock performance, or have a good flowing exhaust, which a stock 2v does not.

Shit man you'd have to run a prick of a torque converter with that kind of peak torque or be using a manual with very short diff.

350 hp?? Man u are a fantasy street machine mechanic LOLOL!

Do you know what the flow rates for a stock 2V head are? Line ball with a AFR185 WINDSOR which are capable of 450+ hp out of the box.

are you serious????? ive used a stock converter with this cam and had no issues?? i dont call 3.27 gears short at all??

no, i'm not a street machine fantasy person, im a tried and tested type of person.... i have used this cam and i know how it performs, thats why i'm reccomending it.

as for getting 450hp out of a clevo without porting the heads, cant say ive ever tried, surpassed the 400hp mark but not by much...

the flow numbers i have for 2vs (which is from my OWN testing) is a peak of 200cfm at .500" lift on the intake and exhaust 157cfm at .500" @28"

are you serious????? ive used a stock converter with this cam and had no issues?? i dont call 3.27 gears short at all??

no, i'm not a street machine fantasy person, im a tried and tested type of person.... i have used this cam and i know how it performs, thats why i'm reccomending it.

as for getting 450hp out of a clevo without porting the heads, cant say ive ever tried, surpassed the 400hp mark but not by much...

the flow numbers i have for 2vs (which is from my OWN testing) is a peak of 200cfm at .500" lift on the intake and exhaust 157cfm at .500" @28"

Maybe your one of the lucky few who's old man is a mechanic or that works in a reco shop so yeah I might have been a bit hard on you there. 

I've learnt much myself and never had a guiding hand, I have also done alot of R & D.....Good to see a younger dude taking interest in this old stuff, You know a fair bit for someone of your age.... I rest my case 

as for horsepower hero... dude its 350hp.... motor will be awesome on the street, the torque curve is massive on these cams and the hp band is wide as well. peak torque will be about 4-4500rpm (and yes it has a nice smooth curve, peak and decrease) and peak hp around 5-5500 on a 302. part throttle driveability will be fantastic at all stages of throttling, i have used these cams as well so i am speaking from experience. it's not going to have a flat torque off idle, but it'll build strong and be a really fun motor to drive, but in saying that i wouldn't use it for towing. (its a 302 who would)

show us 3 of these 10 engine being put together by you? and if you have done 10 why is your car not cutting 12s after being driven to the strip?

man that cams small will be no smiles with that LOL

are those cam specs even right i work it out at lift at the cam cause the exhaust lift is not listed and its worng? that or im working out out with the worng rocker ratio?