GspecZL

Straight gas 4L conversion.

but its not being used within its production limitations? in stock form a crossy is much more robust, but, they are slugs and gutless. plenty of torque but no hp and no where near as economical.

as for showing lip towards Wes' old 4L you really are an idiot, that is a 9sec car, and it's not that rattly? ever heard an XR6T with uprated valve springs? pretty much exactly the same. as for breaking tensioners, i broke one at 7000rpm and drove around for 3 months before i could be assed spending a few hours fixing it? and it was abused the whole time and afterwards?

a 4l is a much more mechanically efficient motor than a crossy, it's what they are designed to be, if you argue that, i give up.

AU sump will fit with mods i think you just need to cut the sump up a bit, Wes would know? or did you use a custom sump on yours Wes?

Go the au motor, its a much smarter choice, and with the metal shim style headgasket they rarely blow unless they get cooked.

Geeez...... lighten up and relax with the Jihad XCSEDAN.

Fact number 66....... XC falcon's are for cruising and not racing. :P

AU have fail safe cooling so they shouldnt get to hot. Unfortunatly that wont be on the ZL lol.

Apparently you can drive them with no coolant.

Limp home mode, it's rare that an Au even gets to that stage, general they have less overheating issues due to having more reliable head bolts (it's not uncommon for 4.0ls break a head bolt which causes coolant loss which then causes head gasket failure)

My AU used to go into limp home mode if it poured with rain. Pain in the arse to disconnect the battery in the pouring rain to fix it to. Fixed now.

Ive swung back to AU motor now. Just gotta get the sump sorted.

This is coming from the guy who had the rattliest 4L in the land :P ....There's video proof

If used within their production limitations the crossflow without doubt would be the more reliable....period. 

pfft.

until evidence of your superior crossflow or windsor you drive regularly and as reliably, runs consistent numbers like mine and get's driven anywhere at any time you need to keep your cyber fantasies to yourself. Rattly motor lmao... shows how many serious engines you've been around.

man im with Wes on this ,im almost 50 ,so i can comment on this ,i have seen a few supercharged and turdoed xflow ,i owned a xflow myself with holden 308 valves fitted to the exhaust and inlet also had  chambers laid back to flow better,had forged pistons ,molley rings ,etc etc ,i mean this thing went well ,it had fiat rods and was stroked to 270 cub, but it blew up and it was built to rev to seven grand ,the weak point is the timing chain which in my case skipped 2 teeth sending a valve through a piston causing severe electrical problems ,by knocking the starter motor off the side of the motor,

i played with an 3.9 fitting ed xr6 head stage 2 cam,from jim mock ,extractors, el injection manifold etc ,this thing was great 6 grand clean and i did this 10yrs ago and the motor is now in a mates xg van still coping a hiding everyday ,no rattles there,

for staying with in factory limits ??????? you got me ,you must not rev it past 1500 rpm ,i drive every car ive owned to its limits including my 1300r hayabusa,i cant vouch for everyone on here but the xflow is fininshed ,i know of nobody bothering up my way with them ,everyone i know hotting shit up is doing it to EL,AU BA stuff,and if it had a xflow they binned it!

but you are alloud your point of view ,if you love the old crossy ,so be im not here to burst your bubble, 

Was it for the engine or the auto?

Sorry Thom is your question about my car going into limp home mode? I have no idea why it did it. Just when it got wet for a few days it would do it. I just keep it in a carport now. Been good for three years since.

Truth is their all shit compared to the Barra and coyote, our only saving grace is that the X series falcon's weigh next to nothing and only require a decent amount of torque to get moving.

Everyone has their own phylosophy on how they want to go fast, some are conservative while others push the boundaries. As long as your happy that's all that matters.   

Wes what did you do about the sump? I would like to run the AU 4L and its the only thing that is stopping me.

I know i can get it modified but some people seem to think that getting an aloy sump welded is tough.

Yeah im pretty set on an AU engine. If i can sort out the sump issue it will be sweet.

AU donk

aussie speed manifold

impco 425

xe dizzy

EA bell housing on the current trans

XG sway bar

ef thermos

e series upper engine mounts

and an ignition system.

There is other bits but thats a short list for where i am at.

you need xg upper engine mounts e series are no good

el thermos are better only 1 wiring plug ,and go to repco ,sc auto etc and buy a self controlled fan switch,works off temp sender ,turns fan on ad off automatically

Thanks ReVhEaD. Well i was getting close!

Might head out to a wreckers tommorow. I should be able to get thermos and hopefully there will be an XG ute.

Anyone got any parts i can use they would like to sell?

Thanks ReVhEaD. Well i was getting close!

Might head out to a wreckers tommorow. I should be able to get thermos and hopefully there will be an XG ute.

Anyone got any parts i can use they would like to sell?

i have the EA 3 speed auto bell housing you need..(free$ to you)

interested in this conversion..