Sign in to follow this  
xebruce

bent pushrod ????????????

got an xe with a 302 in it. when I got it it would start rough when cold the go good once warmed up. condensation out the exhaust. assumed gasket leak. gave it a hiding the other day when I went to start it next it went like shit. pulled the heads off and they look pretty new. no noticeable gasket leaks but got a bent push rod????? taking the heads to get checked tomorrow.  any ideas where else to look?

Soft valve springs equals valvefloat.

Valve float equals bent pushrod.

You can replace the rods with better ones, which you should, but prob be advantageous to put some decents springs in it.

Just got the heads cleaned and tested  and they are all good. but nothing on them is. new valves, springs, seats, guides , retainers fitted. $1100 later.

Don't forget to replace your lifters while you have the heads off, you will be sorry if you don't

And shit that was a lot of money, but hell if it is better, then all good

Live right at the bottom of nz so theres not a lot of options when it comes to places to do the work. I guess they can really charge what they like. suck

Just priced some lifters $120 for the set?  and getting a price for some hardened push rods what should I expect to pay for these.

Just priced some lifters $120 for the set?  and getting a price for some hardened push rods what should I expect to pay for these.

Precision International - 17 bucks for a set of 4 US-made Johnson HiLift Hydraulic type. That's 68 bucks for a V8, Probably 90 bucks to your door.

Get a cam while you're at it, their Dynotec cams are only $121 and are the same blanks as Crow. Good insurance, otherwise your old cam has to break in all over again with the new lifters.... Ask me how i know.

we paid $10AU each about 5 years ago for chrome molly pushrods

My grandfather came from Invercargill

I think its a great place to live. Bit cold for you Aussies though brother inlaw moved here a couple of years ago from noosa. Finding the winters a bit chilly.

Precision International - 17 bucks for a set of 4 US-made Johnson HiLift Hydraulic type. That's 68 bucks for a V8, Probably 90 bucks to your door.

Get a cam while you're at it, their Dynotec cams are only $121 and are the same blanks as Crow. Good insurance, otherwise your old cam has to break in all over again with the new lifters.... Ask me how i know.

Go on then, how do you know?

Put it all back together. Started it up and it ran mint. Had it running for about half an hour. Turned it off and when I went to drive it home a couple of hours later it was running like shit when I started it doing excactly the same thing it was before I pulled it apart.