Sign in to follow this  
cisco

XD Instrument cluster into XE??

My 84 XE Fairmont has the Econo Gauge cluster and I have what is probably an XD S Pac cluster that I have tried in the car.

First time round the speedo would not read over 80 kmh and volt meter did not read at all.

I took it to Lionel Otto instruments in Brisbane and paid them $220 to give it the once over. They said they replaced a couple of resistors and checked and calibrated everything.

On fitting it to the car, temp, oil gauge and tacho are working fine but no read on the speedo and intermittent on volt meter. I will be taking it back to them but my question is regarding compatability.

Do the XD and XE speedos work on a different pulse rate or signal?? If so, is there a fix for it??

Thanks Thom. The single rail in the car came out of an XD. Not sure if I changed the sender. I have two other senders in spare auto boxes. I will try them both.

3 hours ago, cisco said:

Do the XD and XE speedos work on a different pulse rate or signal?? If so, is there a fix for it??

17 minutes ago, cisco said:

Thanks Thom. The single rail in the car came out of an XD. Not sure if I changed the sender. I have two other senders in spare auto boxes. I will try them both.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

From memory the speedo transducer between xd and xe are different, you would need the correct oe to suit your gauges

SENDERS Pulse rate XD and XE are same, 8 pulse per tailshaft rev (XF to EL  and possibly newer are 10 pulse)

look at your speedo gear on the sender, but more importantly the wires going into the sender, they often break right at the sender.

the gear from the Borg warner 35/40 will fit the single rail (ratios will vary mostly on the diff ratio) 
if it had a C4 auto, that gear runs the opposite direction and that gear doesn't mesh with the other box. 

with the volt meter, do you mean intermittent as in it ticks when the blinker is on? this is normal, drops when you put the brakes on, headlights etc. Normal. 

i'd check the wires at the speedo sender first, wires where they are glued into the back of the sender. 

If the pulse rate is definitely the same between XD and XE then I think the problem is in the speedo itself however I will try the other two senders.

The problem with the volt meter I think is a faulty connection somewhere. When I turn the ignition on it usually indicates voltage but then when I am driving I notice it not indicating. If I tap the cluster screen in front of it I get it to indicate.

Even if I get the speedo to work it is going back to Ottos to get the volt meter right.

I quite like having the manifold vacuum being displayed and I have one of these   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/314139830133?hash=item4924316775:g:zioAAOSwFpZjGtW1&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoKXBQ0GoFEr5y0TQcaT5bhgdLaTHyF6Crmyzm8arx0YJ%2F5uY%2FGGsE%2Bj7Z6%2BS0vw0PYLt9z0ZwLdu5Tr6pemq8kANptwSdUX4ZCxuomYB7dE2%2FoRKVkqfj5A%2BnUb%2FEZ5tNfXcgqrXV513XGMhEI2sNe0FVV4F2oKx8XK6ZX89VL9M2scyHEs1AoP0B%2FpY8XTdvcuBZi1F6766RbQg2fvaboA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4yS18LuYA

I just have to find a neat way of mounting it on the centre radio speaker grille

10 minutes ago, cisco said:

If the pulse rate is definitely the same between XD and XE then I think the problem is in the speedo itself

what colour is the outer sheath covering the wires on the speedo sender? RED is the XF 10 pulse one, Black is XD XE in My experience, there's been times where it's not been the case, but mostly, red = XF 10 pulse. 

HOWEVER, if you have the XF one fitted, the speedo will just read 20% higher,  so 60kmh will be 72kmh on the speedo if so, etc 100kmh = 120kmh. 

it will work consistently otherwise. 

there was a gauge pod the ESP had, someone was reproducing them, but expect $400. there's similar ones out there or you could make something if you are keen
1982%20XE%20ESP%20Silver%20grey%20paint%

if you are having speedo issue  check the Dash earth

As Dean said check the 3 wires running to to the sender. Another issue can be if the loom running to the gearbox, if t is not tied up it can rub up near the bel housing. Rub through causing intermitent short.

You can take the speedo out of the  econogauge dash and put it in the spack dash. 

XD to XE s spack dash have 2 differences.

XD have 2 different oil gauges so XD early oil gauge is different to Late XD and XE, the resistance changes with a differnt sensor

And of Course Tach 6cyl to V8

Dale

yes xd and xe is different,after pulling apart heaps of them and mis matching parts to make 1 good cluster,nothing worse when spending days on it,and then putting it in the car and all the screws and bits n pieces and the thing dont work properly,i remember doing my oil pressure switch cause the old one was reading back to front,and simply block off the vaccum line for the econoguage.

On 9/25/2022 at 8:31 PM, deankdx said:

there was a gauge pod the ESP had, someone was reproducing them, but expect $400. there's similar ones out there or you could make something if you are keen

Do you know who's reproducing them Dean? I have one good one on one car, but the one on the other has been broken by someone years ago trying to steal it. I've been trying to find them here and there over the years but everyone wants thousands so if I can get a reprop, I'm the only one it'll bother 

1 minute ago, gromet88 said:

Do you know who's reproducing them Dean? I have one good one on one car, but the one on the other has been broken by someone years ago trying to steal it. I've been trying to find them here and there over the years but everyone wants thousands so if I can get a reprop, I'm the only one it'll bother 

i haven't seen them for a long time(3yrs at least) , it was on facebook. you'd probably need to join an ESP group and start asking, or ask on that ESP forum if it still exists(I didn't join it) 

everything's so far beyond reasonably priced these days i'd wonder if they were anywhere near the $250 odd they were. (that being said, someone's making the XE bumper lip spoiler and it's cheap on ebay at $200 ish or $250 odd, maybe they'd know of the pod) 

I was in Auto Barn today buying a SAAS 2" gauge mounting cup ($32) for my vacuum gauge. You could bolt 3 maybe 4 of them to that centre speaker grille which would look quite pro.

Not like original I know but they had some other cluster mounts that might do the trick.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:48 PM, deankdx said:

i haven't seen them for a long time(3yrs at least) , it was on facebook. you'd probably need to join an ESP group and start asking, or ask on that ESP forum if it still exists(I didn't join it) 

everything's so far beyond reasonably priced these days i'd wonder if they were anywhere near the $250 odd they were. (that being said, someone's making the XE bumper lip spoiler and it's cheap on ebay at $200 ish or $250 odd, maybe they'd know of the pod) 

Ah righto. I don't have FakeBook so that's out, was kind of hoping it was a company like SAAS or something. I'll keep an eye out. Cheers dean

13 minutes ago, gromet88 said:

Ah righto. I don't have FakeBook so that's out, was kind of hoping it was a company like SAAS or something. I'll keep an eye out. Cheers dean

i had a quick search on ebay at the time, but didn't see anything,

these days a lot of people are only dealing via "fake" book, as ebay (fee bay) has fees and still has time wasters that bid and don't pay. might be worth checking gumtree, i'm sure they'd be listed as ESP pod (gauge pod, 3 gauge, dash mounted gauges or something. type in ESP and scroll through 1000 listings narrowed down via price between $200 and $800 might give decent results)