Sign in to follow this  
ILIED

Can I clear over polished aluminium?

Looking to have some aluminium that's half painted and polished parts, I'd like to clear over the lot so I'm not having to keep polishing

Yes, wax and grease remover in a pump pack and spray the bejesus out of it. Like a mini karcher. Give it a final spray and wipe with clean rags and clear over the top. Works for me.

So two-pack the colour I want in the low spots. Polish the faces until they're shiny as fuck. Spray wax and grease remover (how long to let it soak?). Then pressure wash it, dry it, then two-pack clear over that?

Do your polishing, spray the wax and grease remover like you're using a karcher (washes all the dirty crap off), wipe with clean rags, 2K paint your lows, give a light spray and wipe with w&g remover and a clean rag, spray with 2K clear. Done!

I found that doing the steps as glen described but dont bother with the masking and then using a plastic scraper of some sorts with a firm edge can usually just flake the paint off the polish section with ease... providing 2 things, the polished surface is polished smooth enough to prevent the paint bonding to it and thats the area to be scraped off is flat so you can get your tool onto it properly.  Then just clear over the lot as desired.

Thats how i do alloy rocker covers for instance and it works easily... infact do a good job with the polishing and i rarely have to apply a clear coat afterwards.

dont bother with the masking and then using a plastic scraper of some sorts with a firm edge can usually just flake the paint off the polish section with ease.

I see one problem doing it that way Clint, you risk peeling an edge back if the surface under the basecoat isn't prepped well enough. All it takes is the edge of a finger print left behind and it will peel.

I agree with your method in principal, it will work. But I'm old school and will spend the time to mask up first.