Searley

Head Bolts for XH 4.0 sohc

Gooday to Everybody and I hope you are all Travelling Pretty Well. Now I'm about to Buy some Head Bolts for a sohc 4.0 and I see on E-Bay the prices can Vary from $40 to $110 before you go to ARP  Hi-Dollar stuff. Are they all the same? The MACE Engineering look better and come with a washer. And maybe they are made in Australia. I did read in a Ford magazine about a Jim Mock sohc rebuild and he said that you can use 2nd hand head bolts as long as they are in good condition!  I don't wanna stuff this up on Experiments.I bought a Enduro Tech head gasket kit that does'nt come with the Bolts Again any Advice or Opinions or Experience is Appreciated and I won't be Offended. Have a Great Nite.

Gooday to Everybody and I hope you are all Travelling Pretty Well. Now I'm about to Buy some Head Bolts for a sohc 4.0 and I see on E-Bay the prices can Vary from $40 to $110 before you go to ARP  Hi-Dollar stuff. Are they all the same? The MACE Engineering look better and come with a washer. And maybe they are made in Australia. I did read in a Ford magazine about a Jim Mock sohc rebuild and he said that you can use 2nd hand head bolts as long as they are in good condition!  I don't wanna stuff this up on Experiments.I bought a Enduro Tech head gasket kit that does'nt come with the Bolts Again any Advice or Opinions or Experience is Appreciated and I won't be Offended. Have a Great Nite.
Hey Searley, Nason or similar like Permaseal, they are a decent set for not a lot of coins ,unless your going high hp ,no need for studs really.
ARP bolts for sure for flywheels etc or big end bolts.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 pro using Tapatalk

Do NOT use second hand head bolts in a 4.0L

They are Torque to Yield, when you tighten them they are literally tightened until they are at stretching point.
Rule of thumb is any head bolt that is tightened to a degree setting instead of nM/ft lb should be replaced.

Most gasket manufacturers recommend new head bolts when replacing a head gasket regardless as well.

22 hours ago, Outback Jack said:

Hey Searley, Nason or similar like Permaseal, they are a decent set for not a lot of coins ,unless your going high hp ,no need for studs really.
ARP bolts for sure for flywheels etc or big end bolts.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 pro using Tapatalk

Hi Outback Jack. Yes I'll go for the Nason for $50 instead of MACE for $110. They have a washer but that should'nt make much difference. That article you put out on the 3 x different types of head gaskets was Great to read. I know the car parts shops are always willing to palm off a cheaper gasket and bolts that they wanna get Rid of that might not be Suitable. 

12 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

Do NOT use second hand head bolts in a 4.0L

They are Torque to Yield, when you tighten them they are literally tightened until they are at stretching point.
Rule of thumb is any head bolt that is tightened to a degree setting instead of nM/ft lb should be replaced.

Most gasket manufacturers recommend new head bolts when replacing a head gasket regardless as well.

Hello Mr. Poulson I won't be useing 2nd hand head bolts.Jeez after all that work & money. No I was just a bit dazed and confused when I read the article on rebuilding your sohc 4.0 and a well known performance engine builder says something like that. He also prefers to torque the bolts useing n/ms or ft/lbs in a 4 step sequence not the angular method. Does that really matter? Anyway thanks Its always good to get more knowledge and expertise.