Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

Handbrake Issue

I have a handbrake issue in my ute, its been present ever since I got it, and I'm yet to figure it out...

If I park in the position the below photos show, my handbrake works fine. About three/four clicks and I won't roll anywhere.

If I'm parked the opposite way (pointing uphill), the handbrake doesn't work. At all. Even when pulled as far out as it'll go. If I go to the top of my driveway (you can sort of see in pics, its still a hill just not as steep), the handbrake will hold it if pulled all the way out, but let it back two clicks and it will begin to roll backwards.

The shoes are good (standard drums on the back), the drums are fairly good (slightly out of round). Is it an adjustment issue somewhere, something not right in the drums, or something else?

Oh and it seems to be common amongst XF utes, one of the parts ones I had did the same thing.

IMG_20130428_170315_zpsa0a80caa.jpg

IMG_20130428_170328_zps8701d6b4.jpg

IMG_20130428_170341_zps50c8fbbc.jpg

Alot of handbrakes dont like holding with the back downhill, as these old drum setups have a self adjusting mechanism that adjust up when you reverse and apply the brake, could have something to do with this. Handbrakes on XD E F were always a prick cos usually the cable is strectched aswell as the mechanism in the caliper often freeze up

weird.... i honestly wouldn't know where to start... maybe replace the cables, then the drums (if theyre not round, or get them machined), then slowly replace bits and regrease bits and peices.... actually my xc was like this too now i think about it, nose down it would lock & hold perfectly nose up i had to pull it out a bit further... still held though...

I can explain it!

Its all to do with the amount of weight behind the wheels that pulling up the load to stop.

When the ute is facing up hill, majority of the weight is forcing back, making it so more weight is pushing it back down hill.

When the ute is facing down hill, majority of the weight is being suspended, less effort (or force) is required to hold the load.

Hows that! :P

If it makes sense and nothing else can explain it why not?

Think about it, how long could you hold 10 kgs at your side, as opposed to holding the same 10 kgs above your head!

Yeah it'll weigh the same, but weight displacement will be different.

not paying it,

it will be the relationship of the brake shoes and condition of the glazed drums or shoes in my opinion.

Displacement of weight is a huge factor though Dean?

Same as when driving and pulling up, the front brakes do most of the work?

Displacement of weight is a huge factor though Dean?

Same as when driving and pulling up, the front brakes do most of the work?

not same i dont think. when driving the car has inertia and force to overcome.. stationary its only got gravity. no inertia.(thats my theory... the drums have 2 shoes, one bigger and one smaller for that effect i believe.. it shouldnt make a difference with the handbrake unless they are glazed or out of adjustment i think)

i'm tempted to ring a brake joint, but thats what Chris should do anyway.