CHESTNUTXE

RECO2 CLEVO

I opened up the speedmaster gasket set and saw that they come with 2v and 4v intake gaskets,the size of the 4v is so big i thought nah this cant be real ? the 2v looks right,i already orderd a set of 2v intakes but 2 late now i have a spare set,also noted that they only gave 2 valve stem seals lol,where is the other 14 ? but other than that it looks ok for $49.95.WP_20161115_15_21_51_Pro_zpslbb0wsac.jpg

ok i think i have it worked out,we will use the 351c crank and rods and get new +8cc dish pistons PFO351C80401H that will drop the comp to around 10.1.1,or we could use the 074 comectic head gasket to drop the comp with the pistons we have but the price works out the same around $370 so new pistons we will go !

You be correct there with the 4V ports. They're gaping huge on a 351, imagine those ports on a boss 302. Even though most think they're too big, you just need to build the motor right, ie not like a Chev or Windsor. They like short duration high lift (say roller) cams. Too much duration and overlap stalls them and it also creates reversion at low rpm, hence their (wrongly earned) reputation for being soggy down low. Ford's original intention was to make the horsepower with standard valve train geometry, without exotic roller parts that cost $$$$ in production. In this, they succeeded. 375 streetable hp in 1970 was amazing for a small block.

I meant to say that's for the Boss 351 spec. Fastest Mustang until recently was the '71 Boss 351, did high 13s. Lol 300 hp for XY GT, and 300 hp for the GTHO (which was basically a locally built Boss engine) but we all know what they greatly made

I went to old mate's machine shop b4 and bandicooted this 4ma crank that had been re-co some time ago and forgotten about,so i made him a polite offer to clean it up so i can use it with the 6 inch 302 rod combo =good deal.The plastic was still stuck all over it.she is a 20/30 grind.WP_20161117_11_01_56_Pro_zps9ohqiiuv.jpg

Nah the 060 has been chucked in the river,I got another short engine 351 so we will use that instead,and the 4ma will be used with the 302 rod on another block I have here/ so the reco2 is now a reco351.

With not much to do while waiting for the block to come back ,i took another look at the 040 pistons on the rods and they arnt that bad,so i cleaned em up and will problerley just stick with them to keep the build in budget.I have many sets of heads here i can adjust to suit.WP_20161121_10_01_06_Pro_zps60q3zqht.jpg

so going to bore a block to use the 040 pistons.. handy if so.

i have hear of pistons being machined down say in this case to 030 for eg. not sure what the costs are Vs new .. probably not worth it

so going to bore a block to use the 040 pistons.. handy if so.

i have hear of pistons being machined down say in this case to 030 for eg. not sure what the costs are Vs new .. probably not worth it

Most pistons are cam-ground ie they aren't actually round, due to the shape they become when warmed up (from differing amounts of metal around the structure expanding). They are also narrower at the top because the face cops the most heat.