Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

RECO2 CLEVO

First job for the new xg ute was picking up this cleveland i bought very cheap complete with flywheel /clutch and 2 barrel holley,it was a runner but needs an overhaul,i imagine its a 302 cleveland ,probly out of a f truck,mid 70's it also has some weird things done to it like check the vaccum valve in the rocker cover LOL and also a stamp of some sort probly from the joint that re coed it b4,so lets pull this motor down and rebuild it .WP_20161022_11_42_37_Pro_zpsoirvorzz.jpg

2 more things to consider is undoing the balancer bolt and flywheel bolts b4 going on the stand cause its dam hard to undo them if you dont stop the motor from spinning,so wrap a bit of wire or rope or some type of tool to stop it spinning then undo both of them.WP_20161022_15_08_29_Pro_zpsvi2nhlfw.jpg

That's all for today,she is on the stand and ready for more strip down tomorrow,just out of interest i checked the engine number and she is a JG37 so it was a 2barrel fairlane engine,but im not sure if the sump is sedan or f100 so will find out,also the list number on the holley is 4643-3 i will look up later but i would say its a 350 cfm with auto choke .I can also see this engine has been band aided b4 by the amount of blue sealant everywhere ,even at the back of the block and just about all over the place ,im keen to see if it has the lip in the block for the 4v valves as most early clevelands had this from the american tooling on early 70's square blocks ,changeover was circa 74 -75 ? ,we will see if she has been bored and take a look at the small closed chamber heads.WP_20161022_16_30_45_Pro_zpspc6pekcn.jpg

Just did some looking on the carb and she is a rare little item the 4643-3 is a replacement for 1965-1967 289,302,351,429 fords model 2300 at 375 cfm well thats what it said in an american mustang website,its quite an ugly carb but will see if it is worth re-co.

Those pistons have some nasty sharp edges that I'd imagine are hot spots for detonation. 0.020" is an unusual oversize, mustn't have been too bad the first time around to not need 0.030". As Thom said, that metal button glued to the head has a centre that melts out when the temp reaches a certain point. Looks like they used seawater as coolant... That's a shocker! Looks like the carby was really dumping the fuel in, lots of soot looks worse than a diesel.

Nice score on a good useable block. Hope the water jackets aren't corroded. Should be ok being a blue block for any core shift. That was only a drama later on in XD-XE black motors. Bent pushrod lol... That's the built-in fuse on a clevo

i found another small metal plate next to the dip stick tube under all that muck it is a small stamped number from a melbourne re-co joint,i took 1 of the pistons out to check what had been done and its actualy 040 over and 020 on the rod bearings,the cam was in pretty good cond,but 1 lifter was broken cause of that bent pushrod.WP_20161023_17_01_13_Pro_zpsthrrqhai.jpg

dont no what lift but i would say its a stocker,i have 3 here to choose from i will get it inspected during the week,other lifters look really nice like good ware pattern.WP_20161023_17_01_24_Pro_zps58i6a6t7.jpg

m8 its just a stocker,i wont be doing anything with this engine except rebuilding it as a stocker,apart from the bent pushrod and lifter the rest should come up well with a solid cleaning of all parts,i will get the heads checked out as well.The block did not have the lip for the 4v intakes. :wacko:

Nice score on a good useable block. Hope the water jackets aren't corroded. Should be ok being a blue block for any core shift. That was only a drama later on in XD-XE black motors. Bent pushrod lol... That's the built-in fuse on a clevo

Gerg what is a blue block & black block motor does it have to do with emissions or block thicknessl?

Blue blocks were the early falcon engine, painted Ford blue, roughly XW - XC.  XD Clevo onwards were painted black, slight difference in dizzy shaft size, IIRC, blue blocks used 1/2 inch spigot, black was 13mm..??  Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long day,  :rolleyes: .  Core shift issues are a misalignment when the block was cast in the foundry, can cause thin walls in the bores, usually at the rear of the block.

Close Bear, but they went black in 76 with the XC. Core shift like Bear said is when the sand moulds are misaligned when cast, became more of a problem towards the end of clevo production when the masters were getting worn out. Can be spotted with the alignment of the cam tunnel in relation to the cast boss surrounding it at the rear of the block.

i also noticed that the block was about zero deck ,and the heads have probly been surfaced as well,with 040 bore its about 9.8.1 comp as these 302's were 9.2.1.standard,the pistons in my pillowblock sit about 040 under the deck ,if i whack these 302 heads on there it jumps to about 10.6.1.comp,in the 1980's and 1990's it was all the rage to put 2v closed chamber heads on a 351c and whack a set of 4v valves in there as well,but these days most are going for alloy heads and the 2v valve size,with the better 3v chi and others you will find bigger and better valves,but 2.05 intakes have proven  to be very good for the street plus you dont have to lip the block .

I have had so many of these clevo's over 25 year's i no xc had a blue block up until the xc update model of 77 then they went black but maybe some historian can chime in with the correct colour date.