CHESTNUTXE

CLOWN'N AROUND FMX

I bought this fmx a few months ago to put behind the cleveland thats going into the xe,i took the sump off today ,drained the fluid,orderd new filter and gasket,painted the box and pan,fitted the bellhousing but i need to know how exactly the linkages go and the kick down lever which goes where im not convinced ive got it right does anyone have a box out of the car with the set up correct.WP_20160207_16_30_26_Pro_zpsfzu3q1fc.jpg

can someone tell me the correct length yoke to go on the tailshaft,i no its a 31 spline but there seems to be a few different ones,like does someone have an old 351 tailshaft out of an LTD or fairlane lying around ? thanks.

can someone tell me the correct length yoke to go on the tailshaft,i no its a 31 spline but there seems to be a few different ones,like does someone have an old 351 tailshaft out of an LTD or fairlane lying around ? thanks.

I have a HD tailshaft from a LWB 351 C6 setup laying under my ute. C6 has same output shaft as FMX so I will take a photo and measure up & post shortly.

Oh shit, you don't have the yoke? Bugger eh. I had the same problem years ago and ended up paying alot more than i wanted to for one just

because it was and FMX yoke and no-one wanted to sell one separate to the box, from memory the tailshaft was a different length too when i

went to go to the C10, but don't quote me on that bit, this was a long time ago. Then i had troubles finding a converter for it, then the linkages,

cost me a bit. Then my extractors were wrong because the box was wider than the C10s. Ended up ditching it and going for the C10 in the end.

yeah i checked before i bought the headers,it says will fit fmx and c6,there is a couple of different length yokes ,some short ,some longer,im running a alloy EB V8 tailshaft at presant with the flange type rear,im wondering will this sucker be ok for a mild 351c or just get one made from scratch,some of those 31 spline yokes start at $150 bucks with a beefy one around $350,i bloke up the road has a couple and im just trying to get the correct one.

This HD tailshaft goes from C6 to 9"diff in LWB situ (ZJ&K/FC&D/ute/stn wagon). Not sure if these are the dims you want. Maybe I need to take a further measurement from the centre of the uni to the end?

First shot shows 31spline C6/FMX yoke in comparison to C4/C10 yoke in background (from an XD Fghia 302C C10)

009-copy_zpsdktgmjud.jpg

Showing 31 spline...

010-copy_zpsxutf47el.jpg

working length reads 52 mm...

013-copy_zpsqbxddzl8.jpg

Total shaft legth before radius reads ~110 mm...

016-copy_zps4haligyv.jpg

Outer Diameter reads 42.8 mm...

018-copy_zpsyw1c2uof.jpg

Overhead shot...

020-copy_zpsudtm6uzv.jpg

Let me know if you need more... hope that helps!

Ok, climbed under the ute a few minutes ago. Looks like the FMX has the same yoke as the C6 tailshaft above. This ute is all factory and has a stepped tailshaft to fatsville where as the C6 shaft is all fat. I'll look at the shafts and diameters shortly.

I'm not going to pull the ute tailshaft out until I'm ready to strip it down as it runs sweet and I can keep the diff and trans lubed every month or so.What I did do was compare the non-working length, which measures ~59 mm on both yokes I have as per photos below.

028-copy_zpspbcsrboy.jpg

Showing step in tailshaft...

031-copy_zpsbaxtfwlj.jpg

Non-working length on C6 yoke on bench reads ~59 mm...

033-copy_zpsuyysckpb.jpg

Camparison with FMX yoke in ute, looks the same...

037-copy_zpsrsetnkzq.jpg

Here is a shot of the diff end on the factory XD 302C C10 tailshaft compared with the HD C6 tailshaft showing different diameters...

(I'm not sure if anything is factory on the HD shaft as no ZJ had 9" rear from factory!)

023-copy_zps9wthwl8w.jpg

Shaft diameters:

XD 302 C10 (factory) = 70 mm dia.

351/C6 - 9" positrak = 89.5 mm dia. (entire length)

351/FMX - 2.77 8" (factory) = small (short) step = 76.8 mm dia.

large (long) step = 89.5 mm dia.

When changing the oil in the converter,do you just drain it,from the small plug and how much to put back in ? i dont no the spec,and there is a 1310 yoke and a 1330 i just found out

10-10 FOR THINKING BUT NAH ITS THE SIZE OF THE UNI THAT GOES IN THERE,THE 1330 AND BIGGER GO IN TRUCKS AND 4WD AND ARE SUPER DUTY BUT YOU CAN USE EM IN HIGH HP APP'S,I THINK LOL.HERE IS THE SUCKER I JUST BOUGHT,IM GUNNA CLEAN HER UP THEN STICK IT IN DA FMX AND CHECK IT OUT.WP_20160214_12_13_31_Pro_zpsclsc3hj4.jpg

Today i drained the old fluid out of the converter and cleaned it up a bit,then rotate it and feel that it locks in twice,does anyone no do you must fill it before or the pump will refill it once its turning ?WP_20160216_15_41_50_Pro_zpscnz3tciv.jpg

Should drop in 3 times . As long as some oil is in converter for initial lube , it soon fills itself once running 

If you're unsure converter is right in , run a straight edge across and measure depth to mount pads then measure flexpate to block plate 

ok cheer's i defitatly turned it a few more times but only locked in twice,so ? yep it still has a bit of oil from the draining,for these older gearboxes is there a correct fluid to put in them instead of any auto fluid.