Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

[302w] Removing the vacuum advance to run a MSD 6530 Programmable?

Hi i am sort of not getting anywhere with the standard 5.0 electronic dizzy that is in the 5.0 that is in my XB.

ive had some problems with the MSD not 100% connecting to the laptop, and im sure its because the msd isnt getting the correct signal or something ((from the dizzy to the msd box)) (which is what ive narrowed it down to)

the main problem is it cuts in and out when im trying to monitor it on the laptop (when the car is running ) which fucks me up because i need to know how many PSI the MAP is reading lol (and is half the reason i bought the box!)

I want to get a Bosch electronic dizzy for the 302w and remove the vacuum advance.. so i can run it through the box for the timing, as they are cheap and reliable from what ive heard.. off the shelf parts ect.

but i am not sure how to do this ?

do i just unbolt the vac thing off of the side or ? 

The interface between the laptop and the box is independent of the connection to your dizzy. If the data is freezing in one spot it's a computer cable problem. Are you using a usb to serial adaptor? My laptop had a dodgy usb port and used to drop out a lot.

If something was dropping out on the ignition side, your engine would likely cut out or at least run rough.

The vac advance needs to be locked advanced so your phasing is correct for the MSD to retard from there. You could cut up the actuating rod and bend/weld something to it so it mounts on the screw hole of the vac cannister on the side of the dizzy.

Also check your driver is right for the usb.

Me and Ash had a few teething probs at first because of incompatable driver software.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Hrmm ok. so ive uploaded a video to youtube on what its doing . ill link it 

the only thing i can do really is get another laptop lol ? 

which i dont want to have to do

You must use the brownish MSD supplied serial port to serial port cable out of the actual box. Then attach you serial port to usb cable to that. As Jack has said, you need to ensure the usb to serial port cables supplied driver disk is installed.

It is the only way to stop the communication errors you are talking about. I get calls on this all the time. As it mainly occurs when the car is running or on the dyno.

My brother in law is a computer programmer (& aircraft engineer- smart dude) and he explained it to me once but I only half understood. It had something to do with the internal pins and different purposes but it was way over my head. All I know is he said to run it that way and I always have and I don't have communication errors.

I should add that i tryed everything with the ports and drivers ect . i will buy another cable and try that but from memory i bought the one they suggested anyways

You must use the brownish MSD supplied serial port to serial port cable out of the actual box. Then attach you serial port to usb cable to that. As Jack has said, you need to ensure the usb to serial port cables supplied driver disk is installed.

It is the only way to stop the communication errors you are talking about. I get calls on this all the time. As it mainly occurs when the car is running or on the dyno.

My brother in law is a computer programmer (& aircraft engineer- smart dude) and he explained it to me once but I only half understood. It had something to do with the internal pins and different purposes but it was way over my head. All I know is he said to run it that way and I always have and I don't have communication errors.

ok so i just used the serial port to usb cable

i diddnt get a brownish serial-serial cable in the box? 

ill sus their website now to see if they sell it seperate

Yeah new msd programmables dont come with the cable or driver its a rort.

Just get the one they recommend and use driver supplied with it.

After we did that we didn't have a problem.

Ash has it at home if you can't find info maybe we can find out where it was from.

Tried a cable that wasnt recomnended and a stock driver and didn't work.

They must pin the cables different as stated above.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

I just rolled into Dick Smith and got a serial to usb adaptor cable and it came with a driver. Worked fine but my $60 second hand Lenovo had seen better days.

ill have to buy another one

i wouldnt mind a 60 dollar laptop lol

hopefully it works correctly because it works fine just cuts out after 10 seconds