Sign in to follow this  
ZJ8

Number plate panel quick release for fuel cap access

I have a JZ fairlane and I want to make the number plate panel lockable in a similar style to the XF/ZL lockable number plate panels. So I don't have to use a lockable fuel cap.

Years ago I had an XD that had an aftermarket cable release for the number plate lock but I haven't seen anything like it since.

Does anyone know if there is something on the market or how to adapter a locking mechanism to the XD/ZJ rear number plate panels?

You'd have to put a popper and latch on the inside of the number plate door, that way when you hit the button the latch pulls back and the popper pushes the number plate door out enough so you can get your fingers in behind it to pull it down.

You may be able to adapt the ZL FE one to suit. I may have to put one on Bella now :)

You'd have to put a popper and latch on the inside of the number plate door, that way when you hit the button the latch pulls back and the popper pushes the number plate door out enough so you can get your fingers in behind it to pull it down.

You may be able to adapt the ZL FE one to suit. I may have to put one on Bella now :)

Thanks, I actually have a ZL mechanism and have spent some time trying to figure out how to do it but haven't managed to come up with a way yet that I like. Your popper idea sounds good, guess i need to spend some time on google to find something that will do the job.