TUFE

Turbo 4L

Just doing abit of research, is a 500rwhp turbo 4L acheivable on a relatively stock setup? Do i need rods, pistons, headwork etc to make it work? Or could a cam and some bits and pieces get it there? Basically what are the limitations of a 4L ohc?

Hey mate, there are a heap of sohc ford guys running around with 350kws on completely stock Au engines with the required bolt ons of course, I'm sure there will be guys that have pushed these engines to find there limits but 350kw reliable is achievable just need to find the tuner that will make the set up last.

If you use an au short you can use all the goodies (crank /rods/pistons ) from a typhoon or the aftermarket equivalent

Only asking cause I remember reading it somewhere on here but the AU sump has clearance issues on pre AU falcon's doesn't it? And there is a fitting issue with fitting pre AU sumps onto an AU block?

Only au sumps will bolt onto au blocks as they are forged not pressed steal like pre au. They also bolt into the mains as well as block... Yeah some clearance issues depending on model, pretty simple mod if you can weld ally

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

My advice would be to ditch 4L OHC and go straight to the Barra. They are a much better engine and desinged to be have a turbo in the first place.

+1 for this

Remember that 530HP = 400kw. 

so call that 350rwkw. 

thats a fair hike for a standard 4.0 , even a valve springed Ba engine i wouldn't push that hard

A set of Spool rods and aftermarket pistons, would be the go.. 

Wouldnt be up for a barra, at least i dont think i would. This is just a project idea floating around in the back of my head. It involves a PG and e85 with plenty of boost

Driveline loss through an auto is around 21-22% then if adding a 9 inch diff you can add a couple more % loss. So working off 25% driveline loss you will need to make close to 450kw/600hp at the fly to have 350rwkw.

Well ill be pushing a wrecker OHC and see where the limits would be. I wouldnt be 9inching either. Not worth the stuff around when bits for the borgwarner are tough and not as heavy