Sign in to follow this  
Banno

MSD street fire help

Installed a streetfire ignition tonight. Wired as per instruction but using mag pick up using XE distributor at present. Wired small spade to green and large spade to voilet. Car starts runs for 30 seconds or so then stops as if key turned off. Distributor good as only been driving around previous day. What have I missed?

I know not the CDI box. I have wired it what I think is correct or how it is meant to by instructions. What I am thinking is that the car is originally efi using a tachometric relay which requires a coil pulse from the negative on the coil to keep that relay closed to run car. Now that I ran nothing but orange and black wire and nothing else so no longer recieves a signal. That wire is now connected through tach wire on CDI box. The only thing that shoots this theory is that tacho works so therefore it should be the signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the vac advance dizzy your using on a EFI engine ? You need to convert the dizzy to mag only by having it a two wire set up and removing the rest of the hard ware from the dizzy. Should leave you like the green and violet wire in the dizzy I think too. I got 1 here @ home I modded to suit but it still was shit. I'll check it out when I get home and maybe post a pic.

TFI is the way to go.

Yeah it's the old jetronic efi system. I run the car straight gas and maintained original wiring to do so. I reckon I working out what's happening is the original efi relay recieves a pulse to stay closed from the negative coil to run engine once started but cause it now runs off the grey msd tacho wire the signal for it is not right. That can be fixed but the lpg relay lockoffs also require the same signal and that's where the problem is at. I am at a loss to fix that problem without making it safe other than purchasing a msd tach adaptor. Unless someone else has an answer or solution it be great.

Well that's the end of that. No way around it other than a MSD tach adaptor and that's no guarantee either. So it back how it was original and the only thing MSD in it is the coil. So I leave it now and decide what direction I take. Unfortunely no relay system such as gas etc that require negative trigger can be done by any MSD tach wire box.

I am under the impression by the manual that that only wires that go to the coil are the orange and black. Unless someone has done it that way before without frying the relay by just using the negative I would like to hear. At the moment I am thinking about using the warning light on the alternator to close relays as I am sure Diesel engines do the same

Okay this ones got me. Spoke to my old man about the wiring? He suggested to wind wire around the coil lead and plug into trigger line and see how that goes. Now everything back how it was except MSD coil. Fuck me the car started and ran probably better than originally. Only don't have tacho but least of my worries. Walk around the car a few times repeatingWTF!!! Anyway if it ran this way should run with ignition box. Try it tomorrow. Old man still useful yet!

Okay just end this. Wired the MSD back up and with wire around coil lead as before for signal to relay and no problems fired up and ran great. Seems nice and strong with great idle. Went for good drive so far so good.Though only a temporary fix its up and going. Now just to run a wire from tacho wire to dash and it be up working again. Champagne showers all round!!