jca25

MSD placement

Mine shit itself again today im starting to hate MSD got left 80km from anywhere

my new coils a monsta I don't know where to put it it says keep away from heat but I think ill still screw it to the engine

Was just talking to my brother in law bout the msd coils and he was saying the same thing that there shit and he would run a stock one over it

I'm putting an order with summit sometimes next week and got a few hundred dollars before gst limit, if you're in Bne let me know

Wagon is right thou, buy once! although keep in mind they are quite big and chunky and to be honest with the red one I think i can weld! 45.000V at 2Amps

Was just talking to my brother in law bout the msd coils and he was saying the same thing that there shit and he would run a stock one over it

you have to understand how the MSD coils work

if you run multiple spark you need http://www.summitrac...-8253/overview/ or a good U-Core one as the smaller coils will heat up and once they do they get fucked. MSD states that if you use the blaster coil you can't use it for extended periods of time like highway driving especially when you're under 3000rpm (in multiple spark zone) or it will shorten the life span of the coil

Just rigged up an MSD 6530 with a blaster 2 coil, no probs , coil runs cool.

Usually if a coil overheats its because the supply voltage is too high. Some although a 12v coil only require 5v after start up.

HVC2 coils are expensive for a reason.

Blaster2 coils are oil filled, HVC2 is a resin core.

Resin core coils last longer and have a more stable output.

You can use blaster 2 coils on an msd 6al2 piece of piss.

If ya coil is getting hot I suggest a ballast resistor to drop its supply voltage.

Jack.

Just rigged up an MSD 6530 with a blaster 2 coil, no probs , coil runs cool.

Usually if a coil overheats its because the supply voltage is too high. Some although a 12v coil only require 5v after start up.

HVC2 coils are expensive for a reason.

Blaster2 coils are oil filled, HVC2 is a resin core.

Resin core coils last longer and have a more stable output.

You can use blaster 2 coils on an msd 6al2 piece of piss.

If ya coil is getting hot I suggest a ballast resistor to drop its supply voltage.

Jack.

Thanks Jack that's was my understanding of a coil if it was getting hot too, but I will find a nice coil that looks good and doesn't cost the world

Thanks jack had a play in the shed last night got a few more things sorted out i just got to work out two wires what they are and were they go or if they they go anywhere

so if any of the bottles leak it will go straight on the MSD box ?

They are fully sealed boxes so i don't think a few drops of water will hurt it 

they are not a fully sealed box, some one with Deutsch Connectors which are weatherproof but the box itself is not waterproof, i very much doubt you will find any info stating that it is. I have used a few of the 6 series and they certainly were not water tight or sealed. They fit fine in the passenger kick panel and are away from any moisture etc. or you can mount them on the firewall but i would never mount one under the overflow and windscreen washer bottles

The MSD CDI box's are moisture resistant and the boards are coated with a glass resin that protects them as most modern electronics boards are.

I doub't there will be a issue been installed under the washer bottle even if it lets go as the water would most likely drain out with in a minute and a very small percentage of that would find it's way inside the box in my thinking. 

People have run em in engine bays for years without issue. I wouldn't but if it works, it works :)

I don't think you would fit my msd behind the kick panel on the XD the 6al is bigger then the 6al2 but if you have done it Broken-wheel all tops to you but I think you need to step back and look at if some one wants to put the msd box under the bottles its up to them it is there car not yours I joined this site to help people get help off people and talk about cars not to be told we are doing things wrong like I have seen in a few of your posts to people

sorry said what I wanted now back to cars

Jason 

I'm looking for some placement ideas on the MSD in the engine bay of my xd van, was thinking of putting it under the battery tray but looks like i will need to make up a plate for it. i don't want to put in inside the car. Ur welcome to put some pics up to show 

I have mounted mine inside on the trans tunnel, and all of the wires , that already come on the box , are long enough to reach the dizzy /coil, without adding to them?

I doub't there will be a issue been installed under the washer bottle even if it lets go as the water would most likely drain out with in a minute and a very small percentage of that would find it's way inside the box in my thinking. 

Depends on how the washer bottle leaks. The Ghia wagon washer bottle I have leaks, and it takes about two days to completely empty. And drips right down onto the chassis rail under it.

To be honest I did have concerns about mounting the msd under the water bottles.

The thing is unless the water poured into the box its fine.

It is rubber mounted away from the body so water running down the panel would miss it and any splash ,the motor heat and fans will dry pretty quick.

I also like it in the bay so when I run the laptop on it I can do everything from the one spot.

Each to their own. I like em mounted inside as well.

What I like more is an MSD that doesn't get interference from any other source.

Only way to fo that properly is shortest run from msd to dizzy, just to be sure :)

Jack.