Ando81

Crossflow bearing noise

Hi all, I'm a bit worried about my stock motor in my xf ute. The last 2 times I changed the oil in it, I noticed that it has a big end noise for about 3 seconds on start up once I've filled the sump with new oil. Yesterday I cranked the engine for ten seconds before turning the fuel pump on to try to build up some oil pressure but as soon as it fired it let out the old thud thud thud thud until it got to full oil pressure. Do I need to fill the new oil filter before I fit it to the motor?

I'm with Dean, I half fill at least the oil filter, especially being such a big filter.

Theyre nice and easy to fill and put on too, not like most Japanese cars where it's upside or sideways at the back of the motor.

Yeah as above fill the oil filter, I like to put as much in as I can without it spilling out of the filter as I put it on the car. Also make sure you wipe some fresh oil on the rubber ring at the top of the filter, you dont need heaps just make the seal shiny as it helps seal better.

Cheers lads, I have never filled the filter because I didn't want to drop the filter putting it back on and make a big mess but I think it will be beneficial. Thanks again, I will let you all know my results in 5000km time.

It can be a little tricky if you have power steering but its not to bad. Just make sure you wipe any oil off the outside of the filter and it will be just like putting an empty one in.