Sign in to follow this  
xfish

POPING in speakers

Hey all, I've installed a set of tweeters/subs in the front and rear. All was sweet, till last week when the front passenger side started to crackle/pop. Having the same set-up at the back, I swapped subs from rear to front ( thinking I've blown the speaker ), but the rear sub started doing the same thing, and the front speaker ( now in the back is working well ). I turned down all the gains on the amp, diverted more power to the rears and she still pops/crackles. I swapped the speaker wires over at the amp , and still no better. Is there something I've missed.?

Id check the wiring for the speaker from the head unit / amp to the speaker by running a new "temporary" wire. this is the cheapest and easiest step to fault finding.

If you have swapped around speakers and the fault stays in the same spot then it is more likely the amp/ headunit amplifier sircuit failing.

I had this a couple of times with a Pioneer amplifier i paid a shit load for years ago. Solder joints internally were lousy and caused a lot of issues including crackling and popping.

+1 with Hendrix,

It could also be the wire getting caught in the door and earthing out, happens a lot, definately not the speaker though.

When you say 'tweeter/subs' do you mean a split system with a tweeter and a mid range speaker? (usually small tweeter and about 4-5" midrange speaker).

If so check the wiring at your crossover after, can sometimes happen when the Hi-pass or low pass filter fails and the tweeter gets bass.

Jack.