xfish

393 or 408 stroker kits

Hey guys, i"ve almost got my ELXR8 running right for my daily, which pushes the idea that my XF351 is due an upgrade. I'm not planning on pushing this thing out in a few weeks, but just to follow the processes to get a 500 hp weapon and have it done and completed within 12 months. I rebuilt the motor over 20000km ago, and has a supposed 330 horsepower, running a highly tuned 670 holley. It's a 9inch diff with 3.75 with LSD, but that was knocked down from 4.11, and i still have the parts, that will go back in. The shift kitted C4 is on it's last legs, so thats on the list of things to be fixed.

First thing first......what is a very repitable stroker kit ( either 393 or 408 )?

A cast scat stroker kit will get you what you want and be reliable within magin.

Match it with some entry level flat top forged spr of probe slugs. I've always upgraded to the h beam but I've been advised this is not required as the std scat I beam is more than efficient for a lazy 500fwhp.

I prefer the 393 kits myself only for pin height reasons but nothing wrong with 408 kit plus the extra 15 ft lbs you will have.

A set of as cast chi 2v heads and an edelbrock air gap with a dual cam in the mid to high 240s will be a good start for scope with 6-650 lift on a 108-110 lsa. Should have heaps of vacume and balls of trq on the street.

personally wouldn't bother with a cast stroker kit, would go straight to forged, this way there's room for movement upwards power wise if you want (nitrous etc). or if you want something even higher quality, Callies

heads, either CHI 208s or 225s, id go with the 225s so i had room to upgrade, you'll need the extra cross sectional area if you want it to rev.

CHI make a dual plane manifold for the 208s and 225s that will make MASSIVE power, use it.

pistons? i go for something higher quality, for sure, ross, arias, or diamond.

cam as above, if you want it to be street friendly go hyd roller (no tappet adjustments), Thoms old man is making big power on a HYD roller motor.

no need for 4.11s unless you want to race it. 3.75s will pull along just fine.

I'm umming and aaarhing about a 408 cleavland or a 460 BB stroked to 554. I thought 408 might be stretching the old 351 a bit

With the 408 kit you end up with a really short piston (they can rattle in the bores) personally I'd (and am) go for a 393 over a 408 just for the longetivity,

Never had one, but have heard similar with the 408 kit.  Guess it really comes down to what you honestly want the car to do. Mind you, with the invention of billet pistons, hypereutectic this and that, ...........

Love the noise of an FE engine in the morning.