Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

ED brakes on XF?

Quick question guys, the XF disc calipers on the rear of my wagon are f**ked, can I fit a set of ED calipers to the diff? I know as a minimum it'd need brake line adapters.

Want to stick with the XF diff for now, the 2.77 keeps my revs low on the highway with the BW40.

wouldnt it be cheaper to just rebuild the set you've got already? but if you're really determined, with the backing plate, rotors and handbrake cable, it should fit. Disc size should be the same, both look pretty similar inside my wheel when i changed diff from XF to ED, but the backing plate should account for any variations anyway.

Looked at rebuilding the current set, cant get kits for them easily and most of the time they're pitted etc, everyone recommends buying "new" reco'd ones, which are $295 a caliper.

Can possibly get this ED stuff pretty cheap and its in working order, will only need to get a handbrake cable to suit wagon.

TBH your car would get better economy with a 3.27 ED wagon diff IMO as it doesn't have to work as hard to get to hwy speed and maintain it. I have never found economy to be worse by going for more gearing. Plus you could get a whole diff for between free and $100 I reckon.

The better brakes would just be a bonus :)

P.S Yes they do work better