aaronsquif

xc falcon 4.1 crossflow rough running

hi guys,

I have an xc with a 4.1 crossflow in it, starts and runs perfectly fine at normal driving RPM but coughs and sounds like the carby is drying out when you hit the accelerator when idling? has new plugs and leads are fine, not missing as its only doing it at idling. just wondering if there is anything i should check. Havent had much to do with carb engines so any knowledge or hints would be handy. thanks

sounds very much like an accelerator pump failure, i.e. the engine is not getting extra enrichment from the accelerator pump when you stomp on it.

If it is running a webber - or a Holley for that matter you can check the accelerator pump function very easily.  Start the engine and run it for a few seconds to ensure that the bowl is full.  Don't stomp on the gas pedal at this time.  Just let it idle for a bit then shut it off.

Remove the aircleaner and set it aside.  Grab a torch and look down the throats of the carby.  Manually operate the throttle linkage whilst looking down the throats, with you torch to assist you if you are over 40 and have shit eye sight like me. 

When you manually operate the throttle, give it a good stab.  You should see a jet/squirt of fuel enter the throats.  If you don't see it then the accelerator pump is not working. Do the carby a favour and buy a kit and give it a birthday. 

If the accelerator pump is functioning then it could be and incorrect float level or a number of other carby/vacuum related things.

This is all assuming that base timing and plugs, leads etc etc are all fine. 

But I would be looking at the accelerator pump first.

Walsh's auto in Cairns has the bastards on the shelf - go figure.  Walked over the other day to 'order' a kit for my WW Stromberg and the old bloke goes - no need to young fella (I'm over 40 and look like it - so that's how old he was) I'll get the one off the shelf.  walks out the back and comes back with the correct kit.  First go.  Fukn unbelievable - try getting that at repco - autobarn...

Yeah sorry was just commenting on ando's post about 2-barrel WWs, sorry to hijack.

But good old strommy single barrels are great too, damn near bulletproof. Had two on my 202 ski boat, nice induction roar.

Walsh's auto in Cairns has the bastards on the shelf - go figure. Walked over the other day to 'order' a kit for my WW Stromberg and the old bloke goes - no need to young fella (I'm over 40 and look like it - so that's how old he was) I'll get the one off the shelf. walks out the back and comes back with the correct kit. First go. Fukn unbelievable - try getting that at repco - autobarn...

fuckn repco and autobahn I have applied to get jobs there and every time I go there it seems I have to teach something when ever I'm looking for something. Such dumb f#cks work there and its the same old case people that know someone get the jobs there! not someone that is actually suited for the job..

My mechanic spends half his day f#cking around with wrong orders sent from places like repco..

I went to a super cheap, a autobahn and repco last Sunday looking for a thermostat for a rb25 engine they all say "what kind of car what date and year is it. And all of em just didn't know what rb25 engine is and none of em had one in stock! Its the same getting bits for my Cleveland they don't even know what kind engine it is or what's it out of. I say "do you have a cleveland inlet gasket?" They say "whaaats a ClEvElAnD? Whaaat cAr is it!" F#ck I hate going there. And there attitudes are sh$t which tops it off