ando76

My Clevo build - Thoughts

Cheers Jack - I am really happy with the way they look and I am sure that they will excite the flow bench.  The mighty clevo is tucked away in the Coffin.  I just have to do a few final things and then in with the crushed satin and away. 

Oh yeah getting a bit excited myself

Gerg I reckon you will be damn close.  As long as they accelerate off the bottom I will be happy.  Got side tracked today but with the bloody cyclones hovering around up here, I'm not so sure I want the Clevo on a truck to Brisbane just yet.  Hmmmm.

No real point putting on a truck as the truck will probably get no further than rocky and have to stop. Safer sitting at your place than on a truck. Never know what truck drivers get up to ;-)

We are fine mate.  Cyclone sucked all our rain south.  We are about 1000k north of the carnage and enjoying beautiful hot sunny and humid days thanks to all the rain we should be getting heading south.

Thanks for your concern.

P.S. Coffin is safe in the shed - not sending it to next week now - give the roads time to re-open etc.

Nice flow there mate.  We got above 230 with a much smaller valve on THOR's (x flow) heads.  I'm hoping with the 2.060 inlet, these will be 240 or above. 

Anything has gotta be better than what they were stock and as long as there is really good low lift gains I will be stoked.

Nice flow there mate.  We got above 230 with a much smaller valve on THOR's (x flow) heads.  I'm hoping with the 2.060 inlet, these will be 240 or above. 

Anything has gotta be better than what they were stock and as long as there is really good low lift gains I will be stoked.

yep low lift high flow is where it's at

.400" 230/160

i'm still unsure whether i'm going to put a hyd roller or solid roller in mine, it'll be fairly mild either way... no point going big cam on these heads, alloys it definitely would.

I'd go hydraulic roller, we just did recently with dad's car as it shit another set of solid rollers, the just don't live on the street, this set lasted the longest though at 30,000ks

yep low lift high flow is where it's at

.400" 230/160

Love that philosophy... Ford did the same with 4Vs back in the day. Good flowing heads need less cam for the same horsepower and that means you don't need all the big name valve gear to keep it all together. You can't cam it up too much anyway otherwise you go backwards, especially down low.

I'd go hydraulic roller, we just did recently with dad's car as it shit another set of solid rollers, the just don't live on the street, this set lasted the longest though at 30,000ks

Have you tried a set of Isky 'Red Zone' solid roller lifter?? They don't run needle roller bearings like the comp etc. units and seem to be more durable if you believe everything you read. I bought a set ($854 US) when the dollar was good to go in my roller cam crossy but I still haven't built that so I am unsure how they go.

XC - They sound like great heads - Can't wait to get mine back and onto the bench.  I'm all but finished packing the coffin and I think it has settled enough now after the cyclone that freight should be just about back to normal.  Might get it sent off tomorrow instead of playing on my, oops my boys buggy.

Have you tried a set of Isky 'Red Zone' solid roller lifter?? They don't run needle roller bearings like the comp etc. units and seem to be more durable if you believe everything you read. I bought a set ($854 US) when the dollar was good to go in my roller cam crossy but I still haven't built that so I am unsure how they go.

Seen some pretty nasty failures of those lifters, I don't know what they are like now but around 2-3 years ago they had an issue with the bronze bush not being heat treated properly and then failing, the other downfall was because they don't run a bearing just a bush when they do fail you can't hear it until the damage has been done, then say hello to a rebuild because the engine is full of metal

I think everyone gets all too keen to chase the big HP numbers and forgets that you still need big bucket loads of torque to get things moving. More so when you shifting a heavier car from standstill in a hurry! Kosteki had some interesting reading on their website before they closed shop with 20 different clevo combo's. The first 10 were some pretty basic combo's and highlighted the difference between a good torquey motor compared to one that made the power but not as much torque and explained how in real life driving how much quicker the stump puller ones would have been plus how much nicer manners it would have.

Yep exactly - this thing should be a torque monster - just the way I like them.  When I try and explain to people what torque feels like I end up shutting up and just getting them to ride my old Honda XR600.  tractor like torque and just pull another gear.  Thing is those old XR600 motors will still rev past that fat torque zone.  Great engine those things.  Peaky horsepower explanation - any two stroke motorcross bike.  LOL. 

Peaky horsepower explanation - any two stroke motorcross bike.  LOL. 

Or any Honda car ever made... VTEC or not. Dead and characterless unless they're screaming their tits off.