Server maintenance Read more... ×
Butcha

Meth drinkin turbo crossy

Hey ando still kicking not alot has been happenin spent a week n a half on fraser island, back at work for a week an just came back from another campin trip on the herbert river. I go back to WA for work tomora and return the following friday so I will hook back into it then.

Back on topic engine needs to be stripped down, washed ready for assembly. Just gonna give it some new rings n bearings after 10 years of on and off service the main bearings were still good but rods showed a little wear and the rings have opened up 8 thou and had a 20% variance in cylinder pressure. Piston skirts still look good.

Rod beaing upper

my7abure.jpg

Lower

janyqu3e.jpg

Mains

8e3u2e8u.jpg

New cam lifters n springs are here was just going to use the original hydraulic cam but some of the lobes and lifters started pitting and showing wear marks. The 106 lobe separation isnt ideal for turbo stuff either. so a new solid camtech cam on 113 lobes with rpm range of 3 - 6k rpm should give a nice broad hit.

I have half the wiring loom made just need to finish the box off fit some gauges etc.

uqune7as.jpg

hopefully next itme im home I will get some noise out of her.

Still trying to chase down an alloy valve cover if anyone knows where on is in the cairns area.

musu2aza.jpg

Another pic for the hell of it showing the o ringed block. The piston on right was drinkin water the last time the engine raced (couldnt figure out why it was off song all night). Shows how water injection can "steam clean" the engine.

Ok bottom ends assembled had first time dialing in a cam an aint successful yet.

Put the cam in lined the dots up crank keyway was 1 notch back from dot from last cam.. bang rods hit the cam. Ok advance the crank gear 1 keyway (keyway lines up with dot) the rods are very close to cam. but I get little lift at tdc.. ok advance the keyway 1 more the rods pass throgh the center of the notch fair enough but I only get .026 lift at tdc. Advance the keyway 1 more and rods hit the cam... so there really is only one spot the crank keyway can go.

the cam specs .086 lift at tdc but I am not sure if this is at valve or lifter. Even if It was at valve its .049 at lifter still well short. Might hafter give camtech a ring tomorra unless someone can see where I screwed up?.

I think contact camtech and tell them when you have correct lift at TDC your rods nearly contact the cam.  see what they say.  I prefer to dial the cam in for correct centreline rather than lift at tdc.  the ramp could be ground incorrectly and you wont get correct lift at TDC.  That is where centreline is more accurate as there should only be one 'top of the hill' i.e. centreline. 

Ok. have a look in my ute thread as I put some stuff in there in how I dial in on centreline.  - very similar to finding true TDC for your degree wheel attachment. 

Just make sure you are turning the motor over off the rear crank bolts as sometimes when you go off the balancer bolt you can upset the degree wheel.  this is made worse if you tap the ratchet to get that last degree.  It just install the crank bolts and turn the motor over with a tyre lever or big screw driver.  the leverage gives you better control of getting those last final thou on the dial indicator. 

Yes I have the rodent home 'helping me' today as well - gotta love pupil free days..

Hey mate - one of my good mates has a twin turbo late model 6 engine. if you want I can pass on his email addy.

A lot of these points he may be able to help with.

One thing is injetcors. Being methanol they need lube more often than not. He needs to pull his on a regular basis and looking at your setup this could be a bit of a headache.

Anyway let me know

JD

Cheers doug ill keep him in mind. I normally run redline fuel lube anyways and It doesnt seem to leave sticky residue so It might be alright.

bf44064e19d2965a8fab38a955ccd8a7.jpg

Engine just about ready to go in the hole once flexplate, clutch, bellhousing and starter go on. Run the cam in this arvo hopefully.

Looking good , me and my friend GED having been looking at meth injection for his turbo LPG cross flow , in the process of getting a plenum sorted , and a crane hi6 to take some more timing out , runs a recurved vac advance dizy , looking forward to seeing how it all goes.

Raced in cairns last night with methanol carby. Car went well never laid a spanner on it all night, handled the rough stuff beautifully. Only had to tip 60 liters of methanol in her. Oh And screw my gearstick back in.

Only issue was the cam was over and done 500rpm too early. I think if I retard it a coupla clicks it will go well.

Now if I can get me arse off the couch I got some extras to bolt on for next meeting

Class only at north qld cairns to rockhampton. Its a lot more varied 4 and 6s are unrestricted can go to town on em if you want. 8s are limeted to NA single 4 barrel and 360 cubes easy enough to get 600hp out of em these days though.

Was in a rush last meet to get the engine together and when I finally got it right the cam dialed in +4 so I thought she be right more power down low and ran it. I guessing being a 113 lobe it was really flat up top and ran outta puff at 5500. Had aplay with it last time it was home moved it over a cog and it came in at -1 using both lift @tdc and icl method. Im told 1 degree =100 rpm? Should put it at 6k now which should be a bit better .

Got home a day late this swing due to storms in perth on wed night, got in from perth 930 friday and worked on getting the turbo stuff fitted til 3am. Cuplahours kip and back into it but tonights meeting was cancelled due to rain. Bugger. Having fuel pressure issues at the moment cant keep a stable 45psi. One minute its 40 then 20 then 80 all over the shop mongrel thing everything else has gone to plan.

She fired straight up on first crank though and runs awesome considering it was running a lambda of .7 Woo! Eyes burnin a bit tho.

Is your fuel pump connected through the oil pressure circuit for rollover cutoff? Just worked out this on an injected street stock that the oil pressure was dipping and cutting off the fuel pump causing leanouts, his pressure gauge was up and down and is now solid.