Sign in to follow this  
BigCav

BorgWarner 78 series Diff Identifications EB2 - ED

Thought id post these here for any of you guys investigating BW78 upgrades into your XA-XF falcons

These diffs listed bellow taken from 2/92 EB to ED (NC2) falcons are the desired 28 spline 4 pinion disc brake BW 0578 diffs

im not sure why ford list different diffs for I6 and V8 since they are both 28/4 diffs but i have attached them all anyway

4 images attached are:

6 CYL OPEN

ibplDZj8QJyamj.png

8 CYL OPEN

ibcQKvywGjU8qy.png

6 CYL LSD

ibjBeVrRPY8P2j.png

8 CYL LSD

iOA2evrY8RrUf.png

Ive found a lot of variations with the btr rear and you cant count on anything until u lift that cover and find out whats inside. All housing and back cover plates are marked with an 0578 prefix denoting thats they are 78 series housings but the same cant be assumed of the internals. Ive pulled many apart to find they have been fitted with 0575 gears and the housing themselves are machined to fit the correct pinion bearing position accordingly. Dont presume because u have a 78 series diff that it will accept 0578 gears, ive found it to be the opposite more times that not.

the ea to earlier eb listing had about 30 different diff identification including hybrids like that, they class them as HD diffs but list 2 pinion or 28 spline etc but not always both, so yeah ford has the identification numbers for those diffs but couldn't confirm that until I actually checked them physically I suppose

have you ever checked the ID reference in the middle of each of those listings? cause the ford parts program has notes everywhere saying not to go by other id tags etc and to use these ones instead