78xcgxl

Are XF Stub Axles Better?

Hi all,

I'm going to fit larger brakes to my XC. I'm transferring the bigger brakes from my GXL to my other XC. Now when i installed the brakes i was told to install XF stub axles as they have a cleaner casting than XC ones.

After closer examination of the XF stub axles compared to the XC ones i realised that they were slight taller as well. Now from what i have read this is a good thing as it improves the camber curve much like the Shelby drop but not to that extent.

I also read that XF stub axles have a different shorter and higher steering arm that will affect the steering geometry and a reduced ackerman. However my biggest concern is that this may lead to bump steer and currently the car has none. Another difference is the outer tie roads as well but when i installed the stub axles to my gxl the XC tie rods seemed to fit fine?

Now in all Fords wisdom i would assume that the XF stub axles should make an improvement to my XC but will this be the case?

So what do you guys think, should i play it safe and stick to the XC stub axles or chuck the XF ones on?

Hi all,

I'm going to fit larger brakes to my XC. I'm transferring the bigger brakes from my GXL to my other XC. Now when i installed the brakes i was told to install XF stub axles as they have a cleaner casting than XC ones.

After closer examination of the XF stub axles compared to the XC ones i realised that they were slight taller as well. Now from what i have read this is a good thing as it improves the camber curve much like the Shelby drop but not to that extent.

I also read that XF stub axles have a different shorter and higher steering arm that will affect the steering geometry and a reduced ackerman. However my biggest concern is that this may lead to bump steer and currently the car has none. Another difference is the outer tie roads as well but when i installed the stub axles to my gxl the XC tie rods seemed to fit fine?

Now in all Fords wisdom i would assume that the XF stub axles should make an improvement to my XC but will this be the case?

So what do you guys think, should i play it safe and stick to the XC stub axles or chuck the XF ones on?

If it feels good atm, id leave it ? 

i have always thought the steering on my xb was as good as any of the xfs i drove, if not better

ive got bf xr8 brakes on my xb , standard uprights ect. unbelivable stopping power lol 

I know XF stub axles/brakes are a common upgrade to older x series. My Dad has XF front suspension gear on his XT (bit different to a XC I know), I've driven it once and it handles well, certainly drives differently to my XFs, and I don't remember noticing any bump steer in it.

ive got bf xr8 brakes on my xb , standard uprights ect. unbelivable stopping power lol

More info on this?? Ive dummied up some BF front calipers and there is no way they will mount up, they are way too wide. I was going to find some AUIIs next to see if they are a better fit... anything to not go commodore LOL

If it feels good atm, id leave it ? 

i have always thought the steering on my xb was as good as any of the xfs i drove, if not better

Hmm that is true but i do need to replace one outer tie rod so might as well change both and upgrade to XF spec ones. Since XD-XF cross members are the same as XA-XC and use the same power steering boxes the stub axles should work fine in the XC. That way it will also be easier as i can just swap the whole brake and hub assembly and not get covered in grease.

I'm also going to change the upper control arms over as well, put a 3mm spacer behind the front bolt to gain more caster and fit roller bearing spring saddles.

The brakes are massive 330mm discs with 2 twin piston holden VT calipers, should make for some awesome stopping power.