Sign in to follow this  
Joelxf92

LSD wining

Ok I'll admit I do a few skids and drifts on the grass and on the road the LSD used to throw me side ways easy when Turing a corner now all it does is spin both wheels but than singles like a commo. When I'm on the wet grass the diff does alright doubles up but wines like a bitch is it on the out or pretty much rooted ? How much to rebuild if it's worth it ? Thanks guys

Cheers Joel!!

Whine = bearings or gears... No LSD = worn cones. Two separate things I'm afraid. Fully rebuilt 28 spline diff, hub to hub, would be about a grand. Looking at over $200 just in parts, depending on what you've fucked already and what's salvageable.

Whine = bearings or gears... No LSD = worn cones. Two separate things I'm afraid. Fully rebuilt 28 spline diff, hub to hub, would be about a grand. Looking at over $200 just in parts, depending on what you've fucked already and what's salvageable.

Yep, what gerg said, for about $100-$150 bucks you can put an E series wagon-XG-XH LSD diff in as they are better with a 28 spline centre and axles.

My LSD was whining in my old xd ghia 351 and I thought okay I'll get rebuilt soon! and when I did a trip from bairnsdale to Melbourne I was doing 170kms and all of sudden it really winned loud!! Then when I tried slowing down it started shaking and locking up at speeds over 100kms, so all I could do was speed back up to 170kms were it would smooth out till I got to a safer area to pull over. Anyways flat ground on side of road appeared. So started to slow down locked up at 80kms so put my foot back down the throttle to push it off the road. Locked up on the grass! Smoke everywhere dry grass started smouldering. Had stand there for hours making sure I didn't start a grass fire, out back way of bengworden with no passer byers, no reception, anyways eventually got a hitch then towed the car back later. Pulled the diff out bone dry inside and everything was twisted melted and mashed!!....

So make sure not to push high speeds lol

My LSD was whining in my old xd ghia 351 and I thought okay I'll get rebuilt soon! and when I did a trip from bairnsdale to Melbourne I was doing 170kms and all of sudden it really winned loud!! Then when I tried slowing down it started shaking and locking up at speeds over 100kms, so all I could do was speed back up to 170kms were it would smooth out till I got to a safer area to pull over. Anyways flat ground on side of road appeared. So started to slow down locked up at 80kms so put my foot back down the throttle to push it off the road. Locked up on the grass! Smoke everywhere dry grass started smouldering. Had stand there for hours making sure I didn't start a grass fire, out back way of bengworden with no passer byers, no reception, anyways eventually got a hitch then towed the car back later. Pulled the diff out bone dry inside and everything was twisted melted and mashed!!....

So make sure not to push high speeds lol

Would've been scary mate lol!!

Cheers Joel!!

So brake likes fit with disk breaks might look into it what's a good diff that will last if I flog it around corners and grass Hackies was gonna post a vid of my grass Hackies on private property wanna see lol ? Thanks mate

Cheers Joel!!

E-series is a bolt-in with an imperial (car) to metric (Diff) brake line adaptor. Tail shaft needs to go with it too, unless you want to swap drive flanges (not recommended unless you want to do the pinion seal while you're at it). If you like ripping it, go for an XR6/8 ratio (3.27 I think)

Also need bushes for bottom control arms. Push x series bushes into end that attches to car. Brake lines on e series are metric x series are imperial as mentioned, so a block with one of each threads and your away.

Keep in mind any sideways forces on an lsd will kill the clutches especially factory regardless of e or x series. Options if the car is used on road is kaaz lsd which is $1200 new or lockrite lokka auto locker for $500.

He has a ute so no bushes to worry about in this case.

In that case a wagon diff (3.23) or ute (3.27) is the go. Good luck finding a limo version, maybe look for H/D tow pack? Fairmont Ghia wags?

XG Xr6 has the 3:45 ratio, but isn't any stronger. If you want to do burnouts etc, might pay to get it rebuild with some extra goodies inside to suit your driving style. I think harrop do a centre for these.