Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

Ba falcon Egas details

Hi guys i am up for a new daily soon. looking at an f truck (which are getting so rare now lol)

or if that doesnt pan out.. 

A ba egas ute.

Just wondering on the gas system they use?

is it injected vapor or mixer setup?

how does it interact with the ecu ect?

its a bit hard to find details on the net .. googled it a fairbit

The BA egas are alright, unless there's issues with the gas system. BA's are a mixer setup.

I've got one, and had issues galore. Had solenoids in tank replaced, much better now.

Just like any car, some have issues. Just be sure to get it checked out.

The BA egas are alright, unless there's issues with the gas system. BA's are a mixer setup.

I've got one, and had issues galore. Had solenoids in tank replaced, much better now.

Just like any car, some have issues. Just be sure to get it checked out.

Yeah not to worried about issues like that one , all the taxis use em so im sure there are a lot of mechanics out there that can get em going again quickly and easily 

can they be flash tuned or anything ? how does that work ?

No idea mate. Mines stock as a rock, haven't bothered to look into any of that. I haven't worked in a trade for over a year now so the BA's about to be buggered off. No need for a family unfriendly daily anymore.

No idea mate. Mines stock as a rock, haven't bothered to look into any of that. I haven't worked in a trade for over a year now so the BA's about to be buggered off. No need for a family unfriendly daily anymore.

if you want to sell it mate i am after a stock one , give me a pm and we can work out a price ect

Well if you can, go dual fuel, try and stay the 'F' away from gas only b series. 

The gas system is all tied into the main ecu and can not, CAN NOT be tuned. If the converter goes, you can NOT just slap any ol mixer in, you must put a Ford one in it, which unless you are lucky and second hand one works, you have to buy new from Ford. The gas gauges are a huge common problem in b series, which you can counter act by using the trip meter and reset everytime you fill up but you have to factor in any idling you do at home, or in traffic because ya stuffed if you run out of gas.

Alot of fragile parts on the motor on the Gas only set ups.

Just a view.

You can get reco'd convertors on eBay now for $350, they take around 30 minutes to fit. I've had a few egas falcons as dailys and never had a problem, I've replaced convertors on some that went on the car yard but never on my own personal cars. I always try and get gas where I know it's a good mix though.

The gauge is an issue, can replace the sender on the tank with an updated version from VDO. The original ones were shit and were revised with the last of the BF and the now FG. The updated ones are available on eBay for around $80. Two parts of fuck all to change aswell. Ants right about reco'd converters, I can get them for around $400 fitted. But yeah, about half an hour, a few hand tools and about 1L of coolant if you're quick enough on the grab to top up any loss.

I've been told the dual fuel setups can be a touch more reliable than the dedicated setups, however I liked mine being dedicated with the larger tank getting me 550-600km and that includes my peak hour commute to and from work.

ECU wise. what happens if i want to tune it for a bit of extra power, as they usually leave a bit on the table in the factory tune?

what about a diff gear change, usually needs a reflash? :S

Didnt know you could buy the converters off ebay but i know now but the point is still there i guess, you cant just put any converter, it has to be a specific one for the car. some people dont mind, some people do.

I know you can buy the VDO updates but also, something to look out for. All things are repairable, just stupid ideas that should not have got put on the car in the first place.

ECU wise, i could be wrong but i have been told no tuning on the egas, none at all. the tune is set buy ford on the line and thats that. not even a gas man can tune it and ive been told even ford garages cant either, but thats i have been told buy a couple of mechanics and a gas bloke, but they may be blowing gas out their bum!

There's a few guys on aff with turbo ones, they must be tuning them. The convertors last 200000 odd ks, $350 every couple of hundred thousand isn't a big deal in my book.

Each to there own, I know some guys shit there pants at the site of an egas falcon,i don't. I reckon by modern car standards they are simple and reliable.

i think they would have a completely different computer maybe? as i said, i dont know, just what ive been told. 

ive had a few over time and never had to replace anything and the mrs has a egas bf at the moment and its fine but it is hitting that time when these sort of things are coming up (190k) and we are replacing things as we go. they are good cars and cheap being the element of gas.

Each to there own, always good to have more than 1 point of view.

I'm not a big fan of dual fuel, usually fitted with God knows what by God knows who and wired by the apprentice (if your lucky).

When the rebate came in every cunt went for the easy money fitting gas kits wether they knew what they are doing or not.

While the Ford stuff my not be the easiest to fiddle with (if that's your thing) at least there's a better than fair chance it was done right in the first place.

Dual fuel is like any aftermarket mod really. Some are good, some are bad and some are really really bad.

When I first met my partner she had an '05 Camry on dual fuel, it would cut out randomly on her, after a handful of times of it stalling through a roundabout in heavy school run traffic I bought myself a VZ wagon petrol only and made her swap with me. My safety is far less important than that of her and her children.

My BA had cutting out issues, that was traced back to a dicky converter and solenoids in the gas tank - which eventually shat themselves and left the car stranded. Solenoids replaced and good as gold.

Gas cars are a luck of the draw thing. If maintained regularly, serviced and system checked every 2 years, should be right as rain. Seems a lot of people have their car serviced and overlook maintenance on the gas system. Don't maintain something, it'll fuck up. Especially with the shit LPG we get that clogs up the converter.

Although with buying a dual or dedicated car, I'd recommend having the system serviced and checked straight up, sellers might have a RWC done and service the engine, they mightn't bother with the gas system. Why spend money if they don't have to, right?