bigpaulo

Full of water...

So everytime I go out to my ute I get depressed...I keep finding more and more water. So far ive found water in the passenger footwell (no idea where its coming from, no rust in plenum), water in the left and right tub side panels (the right side is because of a rust hole in behind the rear louvre window, left side I have no idea), and in the left hand back corner of the parcel shelf (again no idea how its getting in, have put silicon around the window seal and still doesnt stop it).

Im worried that im going to have to dismantle the whole car to find these entry points, which im not looking forward too as I only just had it completely resprayed.

Anyone have any ideas where/how the water might be getting in?

Cheers

Paul

Is it getting in between the rubber and the steel? As the water comes down it might be finding a little gap between the rubber and the steel and then flowing to a point where it has rusted, only way to find out is to pull the glass.

Yeah I'm thinking window seals seem to be the common denominator. Silicon might help a bit but gravity defeats silicon where water is concerned.

Pulling the glass & either replacing or conditioning the seals isn't a huge job, especially if you have a Glazier mate.

They were out when it was resprayed?

Good chance they haven't gone back in properly with enough sealant or they're just knackered?

Yeah they came out. I have photos of various stages of the respary progress and havnt noticed any rust.

Unfortunately I have zero useful friends when it comes to cars haha so im going in blind

It rained today so I checked it after it stopped, thats when I found all the water. Cant really drive it anywhere at the moment it has no interior haha

I have the a pillar cover off and I did notice today the slightest amount of dampness in that bottom corner...although it might have just been condensation.

Cant spot any mould in the hood lining, although it is the plasticy vinyl hood lining, not cloth.

I noticed else where you mentioned you have had the front guards off. Does the wheel arches still have the factory black body paint? Is it possible that water is running down the wall in the wheel well area?

ok...ive just been busy with a jug of water and ive discovered a few entry points.

First off the water on the parcel shelf

20140527_211611_zpssejkos46.jpg

You can see in the corner where the water has been sitting.

Turns out its been getting in through the top external window trim

20140527_214339_zps2jo2fm5t.jpg

And then running down inside the c pillar and coming in through this hole

20140527_213948_zpsq2lnws78.jpgti

The water getting in to the tub side panel: on the bottom of the trim under the rear louvre window are two locator pins that go through holes in the body work...turns out water is getting under the trim and pissing down through these holes

20140527_214320_zps7jh2svrm.jpg

As for the water in the footwell...the only sign of water getting in is a strange one..

It appears that the water is travelling down the door seal til it reachers the sill, then somehow under the door seal and up and over the seam in the body work! Ive checked and there is definitely no holes in the body work..

20140527_214035_zpse9r8dx6k.jpg

you can see water trails in a few places.

I also noticed one or two drips appear in the cavity behind the ecu when water was poured around the bottom corner of the windscreen/where the guard meets the door. This one im still puzzled about..

20140527_214017_zpsomhbzgsy.jpg

Hopefully thats the last of them, now that i know where its coming from I need to figure out how to stop it!

The one near the ECU, could be coming from a plugged hole that sits behind the guard/door, it's where the door wiring runs through on high series models. Utes just have a rubber grommet in there.

Other possible place could be where the aerial cable passes through the body?

The C Pillar trim above the rear window, should have rubber washers on the threads, before they are bolted to the car.

The windscreen might not be sealed properly - I had that issue, and found the cause to be a join in the A pillar.

The A pillars have a factory overlapping join, under the chrome trim and usually the glass sealant covers it.

If the glazier hasn't added enough sealant, it can be partially exposed, letting water in.

On mine, it was very hard to see the gap - it was miniscule, but yet it was the cause of all the water in the passenger footwell.

My water leak, was tracking in behind the seal too, just like yours.

Take the A pillar trim off, both inside and out, and have a really close look.

good advice there Dave i will have to check that on the A pillar. And if thats the case with the C pillar, seems like the guys at the panel shop "forgot" to put those rubber washers back on...

Polson that rubber grommet is that accessible without pulling the guard or the door off?

Ive got the inside A pillar cover off Dave, didnt see any leakage when i poured the jug over it...I will have to check under the outer cover tomorrow

20140527_211837_zpstu0skh1n.jpg

Polson that rubber grommet is that accessible without pulling the guard or the door off?

Sort of if you open the door about half you can wiggle your fingers round to it and get it in and out, difficulty. Is doable though.

Its visable in that pic abover with no guard, see the black grommet in front of the door?

hey polson, i checked in around that grommet today and that seems to be sealing well. but what i did notice is there appears to be rust around where the hinges mount onto the body...im wondering if water is seeping in through there?? also, is it common for hinges to rust out there?

Dave i took the trim off the A pillar, is this the seam you were talking about? the raised lip bit?

20140528_171947_zpsqa83ry1h.jpg

20140528_171933_zpssuk5flpt.jpg