binary-fuel

Just a reminder to check wheel arch area

Interesting reading: whilst I class myself as semi competent when it comes to wielding the tools considering it's been twenty years since I last played with cars the experience level is low so can one of the more experienced members please post the correct or best way to check for wear on x series ball joints and other steering components.

Oh and I like the look of those red boots!

Get someone to oscillate the steering wheel between the 10 and 2 o-clock position while you cup your hand over each tie rod and drag link joint. If you feel clunking or witness lateral or longitudinal movement its fked.

Upper and lower ball joints are a bit harder. Jack the car up and use a lever against the tire and the ground, watch for movement in them, there is a bit of a nack for it.

Interesting reading: whilst I class myself as semi competent when it comes to wielding the tools considering it's been twenty years since I last played with cars the experience level is low so can one of the more experienced members please post the correct or best way to check for wear on x series ball joints and other steering components.

Oh and I like the look of those red boots!

I guess the point is, would you leave these looking the way they are... Nope. There is no exact checking method. Some use the turning of one wheel and inspect with eyes while then turn it checking for noise. There has been some to say to jump/push down on a side of the car over the wheel you want to test, ether have a mate hear and or feel for movement or rubbing then aim to apart which could be the issue and then inspect, then others do the jack the car of the car and hold onto the wheel and turn it and pull it towards you and see if there is movement or sound, there may be more methods but all test almost of the hole infrastructure of the wheel mechanics. Depending on what you aim, bearing or ball joint there is not one test to test them all sometimes you need the car on the ground to test parts or change. 

A little off-topic but worth showing anyway. 

FB post from a while ago.

Unfortunately we lost a battle with the QLD government and their ridiculous legislation. That was always gunna happen because, honestly, Queensland, like much of greater Adelaide, still go by the Juilian and not the Gregorian calendar, meaning, they live in 1953. 

Sniping aside, what I never saw in any of the debating was actual value added data. All I saw was anecdotal evidence that young drivers are over represented in crash stats. Well did anyone ever think to tell them that it because young people drive more, and are on the road at high risk times? Does it also mean that at 49, with a 650 hp car, that I am fine? I can't be a hoon cause I'm not young?

What I never heard mentioned, either, was any info from the coal face. Someone with a background like mine who actually went to prangs and literally scraped idiots off the road. Here's a stat for you.

I never investigated a collision that was directly caused by a roadworthy fault in a car. I never investigated a collision that involved a custom modified, properly built car. Yeah I did prangs involving modified cars, and prangs involving so called Hoon behaviour. Of 350 prangs over 8 years, these represtened about 1% of what I attended.

That's a value added stat for you.

My opinion as an ex collision investigator? Road Safety doesn't work. And No hoon law or anti hoon law is gunna make a spot of difference to any road toll other than line the pockets of num nut politicians who in affect and just introduced a new tax so they don't have to spend as much time saving money for proper causes.

Publish this comment if you like. I will stand before any committee, any meeting, any debate, and no one, no scientist, politician, so called road safety do-gooder will ever convince me anything different to what I have seen with my own 2 eyes.