JGP

xflow refresh opinions

Gday All, 

Trying to get some part ideas together, I have read through the forums but most I read have a different objective than me.  The engine is all original, puffs abit of smoke every 4th or so startup, burns a tad bit of oil(I noticed this when i drove it daily for around a month) but apart from that starts 1st shot, drives really well, doesn't overheat etc.  Not sure of ks, the odometer stopped around 150.

I would like to stress I am not after a big power gain , if I am going to freshen it up (nothing major like pull the engine and full rebuild etc) I just want abit more poke and sound. Was thinking (the usual start mods):

cain/redline type manifold

holley 350 2 barrel

extractors ->2/14 inch exhaust

remove clutch fan add eseries fans

need advice (brand & maybe part # would be appreciated!)on

cam, (after hearing xtremekarts cam I want similar sound, just enough of a lumpy sound)

heads?

piston rings?

At some stage maybe lower gears , at this stage its a nice to have rather than something I am working towards.  If a workshop somewhere fits lower gears like 3.23 to the standard borg warner rather than change the diff.

I only drive this thing maybe twice a month if that, so you can call it a weekend cruiser, not interested in burnouts, take off speed etc.  My mechanic friend will be doing the work, I am thinking around 4k budget drive in & out?.

No point in putting a cam, extractors and carb on an engine that is already using oil and blowing smoke. All that will do will wreck the engine sooner.  And don't use oil pressure as an indication of health of a crossflow as I have seen them have up to 40psi of oil pressure and the mains are down to copper.

Sorry to burst the bubble but its engine out, onto a stand and at the very least freshen it up with rings and bearings.  The head will no doubt need a valve grind at best. In reality you will not know what you are up for until you get it out and apart and see what needs to be done.  Machining eats money like you would not believe. 

Another option is to get another engine and rebuild it and keep yours going. 

As for a cam recommendation - look at Camtech, tighe and crow and pick a hydraulic cam that has what you want - most of the cam grinders have a good description of what the cam will do, where it operates best etc - Camtech probably are the best at this. 

Could go a reco long engine from a reputable builder if you don't have to do it yourself. They often do engines 5 or 6 at a time so can save in labour and parts are bought in bulk. You could get maybe 20% more performance using stock bits without over-stressing things. Cam could be 1 or 2 steps up from a towing cam. Otherwise, nothing more to add than what the other lads have already said.

You'll want to reco the motor to get the most out of any mod you do to it.

What sort of conditions is it burning oil under? 

You could do intake and exhaust now if you like, as you can unbolt these to put on a fresher motor. But you'll only want to put a cam into a healthy motor.

well i listened to zero of the "not chasing power" sentance.

12:1 compression

ported alloy head (send it off to someone)

Slydogs old solid cam

e85 (its easy to get nowadays)

triple webbers/600cfm carb

and shes apples mate.

but in all seriousness, that motor sounds clapped, don't bother trying to toy with it, you will just kill it.

what state are you in? depending where you are maybe can reccomend someone?

Thanks for replies gents,

XFChris-I noticed the oil burn during the month I drove it to work + to emerald a couple of times (steady 100kmh for a little while).

XCSEDAN-melbourne VIC mate.  I like your style!

I have just paid $3500 for a full engine rebuild that included new pistons, new double valve springs with damper, replace every bearing in the motor, head work including resizing valves and enlarging the head to match valves, fully balanced engine from harmonic balancer to pressure plate and I could keep going. If you take out all the performance work I had done the bill would be under 2 grand.

So if your budget is 4 grand then you will easily be able to rebuild your motor(or buy a secondhand one for a couple hundred) and still have money for buying parts

Definitely pull the motor and rebuild it mate. When I bought my Ghia wagon, it had a recod motor (only done 5000kms when I bought it).

Cost the guy selling it 1900 to rebuild it fully.

very basic mechanical skills mate, mainly bolt on stuff.  eg trans cooler,  carb on my old 351 (long ago-no tuning though), catch can setup on my xr6t....and just basic servicing skills.