Sign in to follow this  
XFute-1JZsoarer

Can I plug XF heater box straight into XG dash without mods?

Hi all,

I'm at that point where I'm about to put the XG wiring looms into the XF ute, and I'm just curious if the XG dash will hook straight up to the XF heater box, or should I just swap the XG box over instead, hoping to save myself a little more work as I've found some rust I need to repair on the drivers side floor thanks to a bodgy repair on the previous owners part to the drivers side vent/plenum opening.

Was hoping this conversion was just a straight up swap over, but now it's looking to be a bit more than that. So would like to save myself the hassle of swapping the boxes over.

Thanks in advance.

Jay.

Cheers guys, I was trying to avoid swapping plugs over, I know the boxes themselves are the same, it was just if it was plug and play with the XG dash.

I'm guessing the AC lines will be different now that you mentioned it, as I'm sure that XG was metric all throughout the ute with XF being imperial still.

I hadn't decided on keeping the AC in, but now that you mentioned it, I might try and put it in too.

I'll see how the heater core is in the XG box and go from there.

Might just be easier to swap the entire thing, you'd think it would make swapping the looms an easier job with the box pulled out of the way too.

Appreciate the info guys.

As always, thanks

Id say they are the same shape but because the XG was designed with the 4 litre and the XF wasn't they are going to be different.

Plugs, ecu, all the wiring etc.

Id swap the lot over. 

Put the XG heater box in there.

just a few size 10 nuts on the fire wall and the XF heater box is ready to remove.

Put the XG one back in, then the rest of the XG dash, wiring harness and you should be on the home straight.

Really lookin  forward to you "turning key" on this one.

Oh, and do what slo247 suggests, remove the heater core and check it for rust. 

Its only a few more screws, some sticky glue between the lid and the body and its out.

Flush some water through it with the garden hose and check for leaks.

Its a good chance to remove all the leaves and bird nests from inside it to.

You dont want it catching fire once its back in the car.

Thanks Steve, I ended up pulling the XF box out and side by side, I couldn't pick a difference with wiring and such, though the fan motor seems to slightly smaller.

I ended deciding to use the XG one because of the one real difference, the AC pipes.

The XF doesn't appear to have ever had AC in it, I thought maybe some on just pulled the AC compressor off the crossflow, turns out it never had one.

I will go over the XG one before I install it, but I have a little bit of work to do before I get to putting it in.

Hopefully the heater core is still alright, the rest seems to be in good condition. Shame though, cause the XF one appears to be in pretty good nick.

Thanks again for the advice mate.

Thanks Steve, I ended up pulling the XF box out and side by side, I couldn't pick a difference with wiring and such, though the fan motor seems to slightly smaller.

Yeah i compared my XG stuff to an XF I had pulled apart years ago when i was doing the dash in goldie and i thought they were identicle.

Just didn't want to say it in that post incase i was wrong and i lead you down the garden path. 

Cheers mate, I always appreciate your input, as I know it's coming from personal experience, and let's face it, you haven't steered me wrong, while plenty of others have (thankfully no-one from this particular forum though).

That's why OzFalcon is my "go to" site for any solid info or advice.

Anyway, the suns out and it's nice and warm compared to the last few days, so I'm gonna make the most of it.

I'll have some fresh pics and a update on my build thread hopefully today

Oh, and I can't wait to kick that motor over too, I'll try post up a video when I finally get there.

Thanks again mate.

Jay.