Ando81

Fairlane cluster into falcon

Hi fellas, just wondering if anyone can help me with my fairlane dash. The high beam light is not working on the display when I either pull the indicator stork or push the high beam on and the light that warns me that I have left the headlights are on without the motor running won't work either. I have pulled out the little twist globes in the bottom of the cluster and they look fine but was wondering if it might be a problem in the printed circuit board. Any help would be great, thanks!

Those little bulbs can be deceptive to look at.

I'd take one of the bulbs that you know work and just swap it with the highbeam bulb to confirm if it's the bulb or the board.

Otherwise, pull the bulb and grab a little 9v battery and see if you can light it up with the battery, just a quick tap on the terminals to see if it flashes.

New bulbs are pretty cheap, I got a pack of 2 in the glovebox as spares, you could just throw one in and cross your fingers.

There's not much on the board to go wrong with the light circuit, other than corrosion, I can't think what else it could be.

But I reckon it wouldn't be too difficult to diagnose if that was the issue.

You've really got me scratching my head thinkin now. Lol.

Keep us posted how you go bud, be interesting to see what the issue is...

Good luck.

Cheers mate, it works fine on the falcon cluster so I thought that would rule out loose wires and all the fairlane globes seem fine so maybe I need to crack open the board for a look.

It does sound like an internal problem, hope it's nothing major, it is handy to have that light working though, it's so easy to knock the highs on and not notice till irrate drivers start flashing you eh.

I reckon you'll work it out, as it looks like you've got things pretty well in hand so far.

So after taking each globe out and testing them on a battery, they are all fine. Is there a trick to getting digital clusters apart, I took all screws out of the back and front but could only get it to pull apart about 15mm and it felt like something inside was holding the 2 pieces together. Any help would be awesome!

So I decided to put the dash in this morning regardless of the high beam light issue and the oil pressure is reading wrong. I put the correct pressure sender in the block but the dash is displaying maximum oil pressure at idle and the low oil light is on all the time. I swapped the pressure sender to a different one that I had and it reads the same. I'm wondering if maybe my 91 ute wiring may not support the ghia dash or I simply have a crap, dodgy dash

Na just pull the bulb out of where the oil light is & put the sender back in.

They won't work both together as 1 is a switch the other reads a value.

I had same issue with FE cluster to XF

Na just pull the bulb out of where the oil light is & put the sender back in.

They won't work both together as 1 is a switch the other reads a value.

I had same issue with FE cluster to XF

So you're saying pull the oil light globe out and the value sender will work and display correct oil pressure value on the ghia dash?

Not sure if your issue is specifically caused by having that globe in there, but the digi clusters never had oil lights from factory, just the gauge. I chucked one in my utes cluster thinking it'd be handy (my bearings are bad enough the cluster flashes at idle once warm), but the light doesn't work, so I assumed (like the lamps on light) that the wiring needed for the light is simply not present.

Yeah, it's beginning to be a pain. All I wanted was a constant reading of oil pressure and volts. Might see if I can track down an s pack dash to try in my ute to prove that it's not a wiring issue.

Mine was plug and play, and my ute is post XF production (after end of sedan and wagon). So if the wiring is right in yours it should still work.

I have heard of some XFs just seeming to not like the digi dashes though.

My sedan was plug n play but it's 85 model. I guess the best way to find out is to put the sedan dash in my ute and it will prove if my ute is compatible or not. I might end up with a gauge pod on the a pillar.

I'll have 1 too! Oh wait, it's 7:30am.....who cares!

Glad it worked. Must have been interference that made the high beam light not work, same as the oil light.