Sign in to follow this  
Crazy2287

Pressure gauges

The following is MY OWN OPINION and it should not be taken as such. Also, discussion is encouraged.

There is no need to be plumbing mechanical pressure gauges for liquids into the cabin this day and age. Especially when it comes to Oil at up to 90PSI and fuel.

Gauges of various accuracy can be used and there is no need to break the bank for an expensive band name gauge for most applications.

You don't need to know that your oil pressure is exactly 80psi. Really you just need to know you have it and that it is in normal range (20-80psi) so a $30 single wire gauge and sender off ebay will usually fit the bill.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-52mm-SMOKE-TINTED-LEN-LED-ELECTRICAL-PSI-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-52mm-BLACK-POD-/261181021181?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccf9a1bfd&vxp=mtr

(disclaimer - the Dragon gauges are pretty dodgy. They work, but they are not "high quality")

Fuel is a bit more critical, Especially for fuel injection. So the more accurate 3 wire transducer and suitable gauge will fit the bill nicely.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pressure-Gauge-30-psi-2-1-16-52mm-transducer-boost-analog-input-LED-/261009679317?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cc563a3d5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pressure-transducer-sender-30-psi-oil-fuel-air-/260785454553?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cb8063dd9

Unless you have a reason not to, you should always get a gauge that will give maximum resolution for the pressure you are measuring. What that means is, If your measuring 6psi. You would get a gauge with a 0-10psi range. If your measuring oil pressure (20-80psi) then a 0-100PSi gauge is what your after.

Some more info on gauges:

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/2066-gauges-how-to-gauges-how-to/

absolutely correct, i have seen this first hand, i was there when Debby Gray blew the oil line off the back of the gauge on her burnout Camaro and was covered in hot oil, burnt her up pretty bad

secondly for fuel systems auto meter and others make a safe system for in cabin mounting of mechanical gauges, its a diaphragm system mounted in the engine bay, fuel is pressurized on one side of the diaphragm and the diaphragm pushes onto a glycol based safe fluid which you can run up into the cabin

I dont believe you need an entirely accurate gauge.
Lets be honest, whatever you're measuring shouldn't change, should it?

Ok, maybe your oil pressure will change, but you don't really care what it reads, as long as its consistent.

I rarely look at the numbers my gauge is displaying. Unless I'm diagnosing, then, ok yeah ya do.

I dont look at my gauges unless they move.

My oil pressure moves a bit, but I now know where it sits on idle and where it sits at revs, I dont pay it any mind otherwise.

My vacuum and AFR gauges work together and are manipulated by my foot. They get my attention a bit cos they move, but no biggy.
I have two temp gauges in my ute. One for the engine, one for the Rad-Out. Once the thing is up to temp, the engine gauge never moves unless my radiator temp gets to the same, then they go up together. Then theres a problem. Generally only happens in mud.
I had a fuel pressure gauge for a while. It NEVER changed. I'm on LPG so once I was happy it was not gonna drop, I used that hole for something else.

You guys are prob right

My thinking:

Firstly i think liquid filled looks cool so i wanted it lol

I specifically wanted mechanical for my water temp too so i know what it is with the ignition off

To make all the small gauges in the cluster the same (liquid filled) I got mechanical oil, trans and fuel too

As said above, its the reference point that matters

So any changes to normal are noticed