Sign in to follow this  
falcon250

Xe V8 Tacho issues

G'day all,

I have recently acquired a V8 dash cluster from a 79 LTD to use the tacho in my XE S Pack cluster (fitted with 351 clevo), I've fitted the tacho but can't get the gauge to display correctly, is there anything I have to change on the circuit board to compensate?

Cheers

falcon250.

The FC LTD cluster you have, won't work in your Falcon.

The FC FD LTD and ZJ ZK Fairlanes have different pin configuration in the back (and different circuit board), due to the warning lights being on the side binnacle on the LTD Fairlane, where as on the Falcon, the warning lights are in the cluster around the gauges. 

Check the LTD cluster and you'll see that the warning light sections are all blanked out, except for the Hi Beam light.

Also look at the back and compare the pins to what you have on your S pack cluster and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The best and simplest way would be for you to get your original S Pack cluster and have the Tacho re-calibrated.

Too bad you're not in Brisbane, I would do it for you for free, but there should be an Instrument shop near you.  You can even ask them for a price over the phone, as it's a very common job.  Takes about 15 minutes if they have the right equipment.

Don't try doing it yourself.  You need special equipment or it will be messed up.

The FC LTD cluster you have, won't work in your Falcon.

The FC FD LTD and ZJ ZK Fairlanes have different pin configuration in the back (and different circuit board), due to the warning lights being on the side binnacle on the LTD Fairlane, where as on the Falcon, the warning lights are in the cluster around the gauges. 

Check the LTD cluster and you'll see that the warning light sections are all blanked out, except for the Hi Beam light.

Also look at the back and compare the pins to what you have on your S pack cluster and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The best and simplest way would be for you to get your original S Pack cluster and have the Tacho re-calibrated.

Too bad you're not in Brisbane, I would do it for you for free, but there should be an Instrument shop near you.  You can even ask them for a price over the phone, as it's a very common job.  Takes about 15 minutes if they have the right equipment.

Don't try doing it yourself.  You need special equipment or it will be messed up.

Cheers VDO, I pretty soon realised the difference in pin config after I'd got the cluster, I just used the tacho bit in my s-pack cluster thinking that would sort it, thanks for your answer.

i have a lane cluster in my xd and it works ok its only missing a few pins

Where are your warning lights..?

I have a question for you VDO.......... on these clusters, the flexible odometer gear commonly perishes.

I also know these clusters have the same odometer gear as Porsches and Rolls/Bentleys from the 1980's too.

The only replacement gears I can find, are a loose fitting hard nylon.

Where would I be able to get, an OEM style flexible odmeter gear? - such as is available for the XF-ED and VN-VS clusters.

I have a question for you VDO.......... on these clusters, the flexible odometer gear commonly perishes.

I also know these clusters have the same odometer gear as Porches and Rolls/Bentleys from the 1980's too.

Where would I be able to get, an OEM style flexible odmeter gear? - such as is available for the XF-ED and VN-VS clusters.

I don't believe you can get them anywhere Dave.

Yes, same gear and odometer arrangement for some early Porsche and Rolls Royce.

VDO don't supply them anymore, so even VDO agents are forced to use the hard plastic ones.

The only reason VDO used the soft ones in the first place was to make the gear operation quieter, but to be honest the hard plastic ones are fine, in that i've never had a customer complain about gear noise, because it's so minimal even on the bench, that you would be hard pressed to hear it in a moving car.

The slightly loose fit of the hard plastic gear for XD XE isn't really a problem in my opinion, as the rotation is only in one direction, so the play never really comes into it.

All the gears I have for XF are hard plastic also.

All we can do is go with what we have available to us.

I could tell you some scary stories about what some odometers are built like from the factory, but that's for another time..

Got mine from an eBay shop called "Parts Lunacy" for about 17 bucks delivered. Fitment is a bit fiddly but easily doable. Mine needed some super gluing of a shaft from memory as well

Yes, simple enough to do.

Check the little steel shaft that holds the new gear, the plastic at the bottom tends to split a little at the base and any vigourous action will usually result in it breaking off. 

If there's a crack, get the soldering iron with a fine tip and very carefully melt over some of the surrounding plastic into the crack to strengthen it up, but be gentle or it will get messed up. 

Also, just melt it only onto the back part of the plastic holding the pin, or the new gear won't sit properly, and try not to heat up the steel pin or it will lean over.

I also know these clusters have the same odometer gear as Porsches and Rolls/Bentleys from the 1980's too.

i know you use to be able to get them off ebay but i have a question i need help with my xe cluster the speedo sits at 30km'h when cars off and clusters out and when i use to go over 120 in it it would hit 120 and the needle would just sit there? i would love to just fix this instead of getting another aswell