Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

XF High Beam Issue - Timing Out?

Have a strange problem with the High beams on my XF wagon...

They turn off (along with all my other lights, park, interior/dash) after being on for approx 15 seconds.

They turn back on after a few seconds of darkness (not fun when you're doing 110km/h at 1am).

Also does it if I hold the stalk back onto flash, but only if park or low beams are on.

If I do it (hold flash) with lights off it doesn't do it.

Yep, Its the main current limiting circuit for the headlights. It will have some thicker.. like 10awg, yellow (?) wires going to it. Have you changed your headlight's globes? If you fit globes above standard wattage it may exceed the current limitation of the thermal fuse and the headlight circuit will exhibit the issue you describe.

Be careful, You can burn out headlight wiring with over current from too large a wattage globes. It has happened to me on my XF.

little metal box beside headlight relays ,its call a bio metallic strip ,fuck it off and fit and in fuseable link

Yep, Its the main current limiting circuit for the headlights. It will have some thicker.. like 10awg, yellow (?) wires going to it. Have you changed your headlight's globes? If you fit globes above standard wattage it may exceed the current limitation of the thermal fuse and the headlight circuit will exhibit the issue you describe.

yeh what they said lol

Replaced the metal box thing (with one from my old white wagon), headlights now stay on high beam.

Cheers guys, much better visibility at night and I feel much safer knowing I can drive with them on :)