Sign in to follow this  
unfamilia

xd falcon external trans cooler?

Looking at fitting an external auto trans cooler for my bw35 3 speed. I dont like the auto fluid through the radiator core so wondering how big a cooler needed? Also with hose and clamps be enough to hold the hoses onto cooler if I find a decent 2nd hand unit that doesnt have correct threaded fittings.

Thought of a small magna v6 cooler or about a4 paper size

Ok. I forgot 1970s is my kind of skill level he he he. I just want to bypass the radiator system completely. Dont want to be like a ba falcon stuck on the side of road with coolant in the trans and trans oil in the radiator.

Yeah, me too... :ph34r:

Simple, mate. One in, one out, lots of fresh air. Jobs done. Use Trans cooler hose, NOT fuel line. Doesn't have to be a Ford unit, the Magna one should do fine.

...and I always run 2 hose clamps, on each connection. Cos I'm strange, like that.

I do to for some lines. Learnt that from my radiator hoses in my datsuns over the years.

Cool might go pick a part and grab one from any car I feel like. Might come with hose already. Im tight and strange like that.

Only thing I can add to that is that if for some reason you need to cut steel lines you must properly de-burr the steel before plumbing rubber hose onto them. My old mans ba had an aftermarket cooler added to it at some stage and the mechanic hadn't removed the burrs. Naturally half way across the nullabor the burrs rubbed through the rubber from the inside, pissed oil everywhere and had to get a passing truckie to help him out.

My deburer is a round polishing stone on a die grinder. I dont have a double flare so only usually single flare it or a couple of spot welds if its steel to stop clamp flying off. Double clamps work well too. Well sourced a triumph trans cooler and lines. Can chop hoses and use brass or steel compressor fittings and hose clamps possibly to join them. Will find out when I pick up over weekend