Sign in to follow this  
unfamilia

car wont idle after swap from strom to 34adm

Well swapped in another iron head 4.1 into my xd. Put a different manifold and put an xf 34adm webber on as the stromberg chokes more than england in the ashes.

I turn the key and it fires to life. Let go of ignition key it dies.

I made a video but waiting for photochuckit to upload it... slow since upgraded app

you havent got a constant 12volt power supply going to your coil so when the key is let go as you stated it dies,generally this could be the switching unit in the back of the ignition, chim in guys ,

Yep got 12v from the old idle solenoid to both the solenoid and choke. Initallity I wired it to pos on the coil but I thought that pos might only get power at ignition key position.

Nope wont keep running if I keep on the petrol

12v to the starter will start it . 12v to the coil ect will keep it running. thats pretty much my interpretation of bypassing the ignition switch lol

This is all guessing though, you need to figure out if it's a fuel or spark problem. Get someone to dribble some fuel down the carb while you try to start it, if it keeps running you got a fuel problem.

If it's a spark problem you need to figure out if your running points or electronic ignition.

If your running points check the ballast resistor, it will have a ballast bypass for start up then when you let go of the key it runs on the ballast circuit (5 volts).

Its points and I checked the ballast already.one of the reasons I usually get elec ignition. Proving difficult for iron head 4.1.

Im not newbie to cars but im no expert either. Usually need to be shown then im all good after that.

Usually play with datsuns. This is my first non datsun adventure.

Might be fuel related too as I put 15lt in the other day and now theres fuel in tank but not filter. Filter was full the other day when trying.

The joys of petrol. I found lpg so much easier lol.

Its points and I checked the ballast already.one of the reasons I usually get elec ignition. Proving difficult for iron head 4.1.

Im not newbie to cars but im no expert either. Usually need to be shown then im all good after that.

Usually play with datsuns. This is my first non datsun adventure.

Might be fuel related too as I put 15lt in the other day and now theres fuel in tank but not filter. Filter was full the other day when trying.

The joys of petrol. I found lpg so much easier lol.

I find lpg better/easier as well lol.. pumps itself, atomises itself, just gotta keep the converter warm and the mixtures checked every so often lol

if its points check the gap! if u dont have feeler guages try to open it up to the thickness of a cigarette packet (the cardboard its made from)

a quick youtube/google should show u how to gap them. 

if u have a can of aerostart ect try that . that usually is how i find out weather its a fuel or spark problem. u can always pull a plug and get someone to crank it and watch the sparkplug to see if it is sparking. ( gotta have the thread part of the plug earthed)

Well fuel filter was dry. Drained tank (most of it) pulled it out. Dropped it and spilt about 5 lt of it and drained past the neighbour's. I hosed area down and added car wash to disapate the spill. Damn tank has what looks like 2cm mud in it.

Cleaning out now with washing liquid and water then will use acetone to rinse.

Fuel gauge sender was blocked with mud too even though cleaned 4 weeks ago with acetone.

Hope pump not stuffed but cleared out lines now so can only test. Mrs not happy. 5lt stank out house carport and street

Well got fuel up to filter and pumping into carby no issues. No spark out of coil and when I turn the ignition key to start when it returns to the on position starter still cranking.

Couldn't find my test light so im left scratching myhead (or other parts) must be the ignition switch but how do I bypass that to test .

Tried another coil same deal.

run a wire from the battery to the positive of the coil. See if it starts and runs. Do it quickly and don't leave it running off the battery. Disconnect the wire once you know if it runs or not. If it does then its a power supply problem. You may have the wire on the starter in the wrong place if it has 2 prongs.