Sign in to follow this  
XFChris

XF not running on petrol

I've got a 250 Xflow in an XF, on duel fuel, wasn't running on fuel when I got it. Unless aerostart/petrol is poured down the carb, then it will run for a few seconds.

I first saw that fuel was not even getting to the petrol lock off solenoid, found out the mechanical fuel pump was dead. Replaced that with an electric one, and fuel is now getting through the solenoid, but seems to be stopping at the carb.

Pumping the accelerator doesn't squirt any fuel into the carb like a good carby would do.

I haven't opened up the carby yet. I'm not sure how to remove the base plate of the air cleaner housing. It might not help that my lpg mixerhas been siliconed onto the air cleaner housing base plate.

Any tips guys?

just brake the seal and then re seal it when your done. chuck a rebuild kit through the carby you will find a stuck pin or something gunked up in there. make sure you wet up the carby atleast once a month if you want to keep it running on petrol afterwards.

XF webber carby kit, $70. I sold one at work a couple of weeks ago. It is not a kit to be treated as light home work no sir re. The XF carby kit is a complex set of gaskets, needles, ball bearings and jets and then some. 

For me, id but a good running carby instead.

If its been running on LPG for a long time the carby has all dried out, LPG is tuff on them, on any fuel system for that matter.

Make sure you turn the LPG bottle off before you go stuffing about with it, like a BBQ bottle, its the same.

It's a common problem mate, once you get the air cleaner off then the 6 or so flat head screws will allow the top to come off the carby. If you lift it off you might find that the float needle may be stuck in the closed position and the float prob has a hole in it. There is an inline filter where the steel fuel line feeds into the carby which often blocks up and gives trouble. Hopefully these few tips get you out of trouble, good luck

XF webber carby kit, $70. I sold one at work a couple of weeks ago. It is not a kit to be treated as light home work no sir re. The XF carby kit is a complex set of gaskets, needles, ball bearings and jets and then some. 

For me, id but a good running carby instead.

If its been running on LPG for a long time the carby has all dried out, LPG is tuff on them, on any fuel system for that matter.

Make sure you turn the LPG bottle off before you go stuffing about with it, like a BBQ bottle, its the same.

I'm leaning towards buying a good working carby, then maybe rebuild mine slowly.

Where would I turn the lpg off? Do do that from the tank? Or is that via a knob of the lpg line leading to the mixer?

It's a common problem mate, once you get the air cleaner off then the 6 or so flat head screws will allow the top to come off the carby. If you lift it off you might find that the float needle may be stuck in the closed position and the float prob has a hole in it. There is an inline filter where the steel fuel line feeds into the carby which often blocks up and gives trouble. Hopefully these few tips get you out of trouble, good luck

It's the air cleaner bottom part that I wasn't able to remove, I'll have another go in the next few days,

So did ya undo the 4 small bolts on the inside of the aircleaner housing? About 8 or 10mm I think they are, then there might be a bolt going into the housing from a bracket on the rocker cover. Sometimes the gas mixers are really stuck on tight with silastic over the top of the carby throat. If you remove that, it might explain a bit more as to why the air cleaner isn't coming off. Good luck!

The tank has a small tap on it, turn it off then crank the engine over till the LPG line is empty, should be good to go now.

Yeah buy a good running carby, perhaps a member here has one they don't need and would off load?

Tho, I would prefer to see running on a car first.

So did ya undo the 4 small bolts on the inside of the aircleaner housing? About 8 or 10mm I think they are, then there might be a bolt going into the housing from a bracket on the rocker cover. Sometimes the gas mixers are really stuck on tight with silastic over the top of the carby throat. If you remove that, it might explain a bit more as to why the air cleaner isn't coming off. Good luck!

I saw two bolts that also went through the LPG mixer housing, took those out. There was a lot of silastic around the mixer, so I'll cut through that next time I get to play around with it.

The tank has a small tap on it, turn it off then crank the engine over till the LPG line is empty, should be good to go now.

Yeah buy a good running carby, perhaps a member here has one they don't need and would off load?

Tho, I would prefer to see running on a car first.

Got access to the tap and turned it off today, didn't think to start the car to see if the gas is shut off. I'll do that just before I have another go at the carby.

Been busy over the past few days, though I squeezed in a bit of time to work on the XF.

I finally broke the seal on the mixer, which revealed a bolt and nut holding the air cleaner bottom on. I'll take them off another day as the sun is setting and the wind blew the bonnet onto my head.

Is my mixer a decent one? I'm planning to go a tow cam later on, and I'll keep this mixer if I can

20140106_192353.jpg

This hose looks pretty average, going to get LPG recertified soon, would they replace the hoses, or do they only check the tank?

20140106_192313.jpg

the hose you talk have has metal in it like a tyre ,it should be ok for re-cert ,it really depends on what the inspector feels needs to be done ,but generally if the tank is in date and it has a gas lock in the rear compartment on the tank and one in the engine bay ,and the feul line isnt damaged in anyway you should be ok

Finally got around to rebuilding the carby and fitting up new fuel line and fittings.

It now will start on fuel, and will idle (although somewhat fast) It cuts out after i let go of the throttle after giving it a rev.

I'll need to double check that I've hooked up vac lines right, and maybe play with idle speed, and maybe even rewire the choke.

All diaphgrams were replaced with new ones out of the kit.

Choke seems to be setup correctly now (fully closed with car off, start it up and it will crack open a tad)

I bottomed out the vac nudger screw, car won't cut out after giving it a rev, back off the screw a few turns and it does it again. I've left it at about 2 turns from the bottom.

Idle is a bit rough too, varys about 50 or so rpm each way.

Rough or hunting idle is probably a vacuum leak. Check carby base gasket and manifold gasket. Spray a little carb cleaner or Aerostart around the mating surfaces, if idle goes up, there ya have it. One and half to two turns out is good start for a new carb. ;)