Sign in to follow this  
XTREME KARTS XF

XG ignition barrel and door locks

The ignition barrel in my XD ute is wornout (you can take the key out in ACC and ON postions) and i was woundering if the XG ignition barrel will fit the XD steering column? And will the XG door locks work with the XD-XF door mechanism's?

Door locks use different cam style to x series, the fit straight in but you cannot use them to open the doors.

The ign barrle fits and works but you need the xf style shroud. The low profile shroud wont fit ovee as the mechanisms body is larger

Door locks use different cam style to x series, the fit straight in but you cannot use them to open the doors.

The ign barrle fits and works but you need the xf style shroud. The low profile shroud wont fit ovee as the mechanisms body is larger

You can grind all the excess casting off and they fit nicely. Or use an XG column-auto shroud (look like XD/XE style)

IMO... Horrible idea. You do not want to keep the XF ign barrel if you have a choice. They are TOOOOOO easy to pick. Tibbi locks are a lot safer/harder to pick. Use the XG barrel.

To actually answer your Question, I have never done it. But if you can put an XG barrel on an XF column, then you should be able to fit an XF barrel to an XG column.

I know how bad they are, but don't really have a choice, the key I got with the XG ignition is stuffed, so doesn't work.

Besides, a kill switch is already installed for that reason (guess it works, it's been broken into, never taken though)

I found brand new XG ignition barrels (with 2 keys) on eBay for $44 shipped, but doesn't come with door locks

And I don't really want to change all the door locks to match a new key if I don't have too.

If smartlock is disabled with a J3 chip (ordering one this week), do you think it would work?

Go to ford and get a new ign barrel + key. They are like $20 or something fkn cheap like that. I got both doors, boot and ign barrel with 2 keys as a kit for like... $70? Was ages ago but give that a try. If not go to a wreckers and get a second hand one for $10.

I'm not going to say how for obvious reasons, PM if you wanna know, but seriously. If you change the barrel to the X series barrel then there is about a 50/50 chance someone could get in and drive off with your car faster than you could using your actual key. It don't work with all of them but it did with all mine so mine both have Tibbi locks now.

Don't want to sound negative but has someone previously said that xg locks won't work in xf doors as they have different internals? Not 100% sure but I thought I had read it on another thread. I have been caught out trying to fix an xg door internal latch as they are like an eb ed setup which I different to xf.

Don't want to sound negative but has someone previously said that xg locks won't work in xf doors as they have different internals? Not 100% sure but I thought I had read it on another thread. I have been caught out trying to fix an xg door internal latch as they are like an eb ed setup which I different to xf.

Correct, a lot of fuckin around to make it work.

An ED barrel should go in shouldn't it?

I didn't think anything from ford would be that cheap! Lol

And how do I take the ignition off the column, it looks like it uses one of those break-away bolts?

(You know the ones where the bolt head snaps off when it's torqued up)

Yes, You have to rig something up to get it undone

Sometimes you can hit the edge of the bolt head with a chisel and hammer to turn it. Or you gotta drill, cut or grind it or tack weld something to it and turn it out.