Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

How to set timing on a 4.0L?

Replaced a dizzy on a friends EL the other week, just bolted it back in and set the timing by estimate, now I actually have a timing light so thought I'd do it properly.

How do you set it? Like for the XFs EFI you disconnect the spout connector and then adjust it,whats the procedure on a 4.0L?

Cheers

Not to sure but I think you have to set the timing in diagnostic mode. With the service connection socket. Sorry I can't be of much assistance, haven't done one, wait til daylight and you'll get a response. Good luck.

Correct, you have to set it to diagnostic mode using the white plug under the in dash fuse panel on the right hand side of the steering column, two terminals on the end of the plug have to be bridged (I can't remember if it's the left or righthand side of the plug but xh is opposite) the car will instantly idle higher you do it correctly then you can set the timing

it just sends it into limp mod so you can time it correctly ,i had a bloke come in,an el was idling its head off running like a bucket,after i put it into limp mode i checked his timing was at around 26 d ,lol