As the thread title suggests lads and ladies, I'm after information on what the difference is between 6cyl and V8 gauge clusters.

We all know to look for the sticker on the back that says whether or not it is 6cyl or V8. Sometimes that sticker is long gone unfortunately, so what I'm after is the circuit board differences between the two.

I have a 6cyl cluster here that has the following etched into the boards between the Temp & Alt gauges:

VDO Australia

34630 - BOARD

23396 - ASSY

Is this the same code for all the PCB's or does it change with the V8 cluster? (Fairlane clusters will obviously be different)

I seem to remember a drunken discussion about the S Pac clusters (possibly when I was in Wagga Wagga) about the only differences being in some of the resistors being a different value.

Any help on this topic would be fantastic as I know some of us would like to be able to identify a V8 cluster from a 6cyl one at a glance.

Cheers.

Glenn.

I could be wrong but I'd say it is just a resistor difference to correct tacho pulses between 6 and 8 cylinder. I've never looked inside said clusters before so wouldn't have a clue where the resistor/s are but a visual id or check with multimeter would tell you the different resistor values. Need someone with both type clusters to pull them apart and check.

I'm using a 6 cyl cluster with my v8. There's a trimpot down the side of the tacho that you adjust the rpm with. Even without calibration gear you can get it fairly close.

To get you in the ballpark, set your fast idle up to show 2000 rpm on the 6 cyl setting. Adjust the trimpot so at this engine rpm the tacho now shows 1500. Congrats, you now have a V8 tacho.

I'm using a 6 cyl cluster with my v8. There's a trimpot down the side of the tacho that you adjust the rpm with. Even without calibration gear you can get it fairly close.

To get you in the ballpark, set your fast idle up to show 2000 rpm on the 6 cyl setting. Adjust the trimpot so at this engine rpm the tacho now shows 1500. Congrats, you now have a V8 tacho.

any chance some one can post a pic on where this trimpot is and what it looks like im keen to convert my 6 tach to a 8 tach cheers scott

While we are on the subject does any one know the difference between the 6 and 8 Tacho in a XCGS?

The only difference I see is the redline on the tacho...

That's handy then! I've seen a few cheap clusters at swap meets that I could've bought if I knew that.

While we are on the subject does any one know the difference between the 6 and 8 Tacho in a XCGS?

on the face of the tacho their is a 6 or 8 on it down near the bottom