xebruce

cams

Possible jets aren't sealing properly in carby, and fuel is pooled on top of cylinders. If it started and ran sweet, it should be OK, timing wise. Just fuel or ignition. Didn't knock the dizzy out of place ?, lock down bolt tight ?

turns out timing was just knocked way out. got it going and took it for a spin around the block. Smoking back left  disc brake when I got back. woops. something else to fix turns out they don't like having the handbrake on for a couple of months. goes and sounds good apart from that. got a vid on my phone just not sure how to upload it here.

turns out timing was just knocked way out. got it going and took it for a spin around the block. Smoking back left  disc brake when I got back. woops. something else to fix turns out they don't like having the handbrake on for a couple of months. goes and sounds good apart from that. got a vid on my phone just not sure how to upload it here.

put vid from your phone to your pc then just upload to youtube and post link for us to watch :D

Still not running 100% might take it somewhere for a tune. If ya put your foot down at 100ks in top gear it still pops through the carb. But a least its mobile now.

Did you end up dialing the cam in as per cam card or stick it in straight up (dot to dot)?

If you are going to the trouble of removing waterpump etc to just retard 2 degrees, you may as well do it properly and degree it in, then you know that part is spot on!

My old 302 clevo did the same after cam change, the dizzy was rooted wIth a worn dizzy gear.

going to get hold of a degree wheel  and do it properly. just had straight up to get it out of my little no power single garage. got it to work today so it can stay there for a bit. watched a couple of youtube vids on how to use them so all going well i'll stay after work tomorrow and get it done.

sounds good dude, i reckon it just needs a decent tune, although i do also recommend installing with the degree wheel, i have installed the DEH cam series using the eye method on chain and timing gears, and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

did you set the preload on the lifters? and what springs are in the head, make sure it doesn't get valve float.

get it tuned properly and it should be sweet :)

how nice does the idle sound, i love that about these cams

going to get hold of a degree wheel  and do it properly. just had straight up to get it out of my little no power single garage. got it to work today so it can stay there for a bit. watched a couple of youtube vids on how to use them so all going well i'll stay after work tomorrow and get it done.

Good choice...it may or may not seem to make a big difference but It really is the only way to find where the cam is.The only numbers to worry about are on the degree wheel...forget about whats on the timing chain kit as they serve no purpose at all unless you can prove where your cam is ground and set up.If you can't get it to the exact lift @ TDC specs go past it as this will allow for chain stretch in the future.So if your cam wants 100th @ TDC and you can only get 98 or 102 go for 102.But be warned I have spent up to 6hrs trying to get my cam timing "spot on" before...yes I can get that fussy about it.

Good luck and ask questions if you get stuck.

Good choice...it may or may not seem to make a big difference but It really is the only way to find where the cam is.The only numbers to worry about are on the degree wheel...forget about whats on the timing chain kit as they serve no purpose at all unless you can prove where your cam is ground and set up.If you can't get it to the exact lift @ TDC specs go past it as this will allow for chain stretch in the future.So if your cam wants 100th @ TDC and you can only get 98 or 102 go for 102.But be warned I have spent up to 6hrs trying to get my cam timing "spot on" before...yes I can get that fussy about it.

Good luck and ask questions if you get stuck.

Cheers for the advice. Got side tracked today and ended taking the inner handbrake cable out what a mission. Now on to the leaking power steering box looks like ive got to take the brake booster out to get the thing out.

Another question. Is it going to do any damage to the cam or engine being a little out. Really just want it mobile to go round some panel shops. If I end up getting a panel and paint done i'll take the motor out then and do it.

No, you wont damage the engine. Just dont flog it. You may get detonation. aka pre-ignition/dieseling/knock.

Sounds like the timing is out abit, like XCsedan suggested, a good tune. (Dont trust the marks on the Harmonic balancer.) If you're just going to toodle around getting quotes, it will be fine. Trust me :ph34r: