Sign in to follow this  
PHASE 5

erg and non erg manifold

what is an erg? im looking at fitting a new manifold wieland or edeldrock and keeping the thermoquad and some say no erg?any help please

it recirculates,hot exhaust gases to help warm the fuel to stop flat spotting when motor is cold,so im lead to beleive,lol ditch the thermoquad by losing this carby and fitting a new modern holley you might get 9l to the 100k

it recirculates,hot exhaust gases to help warm the fuel to stop flat spotting when motor is cold,so im lead to beleive,lol ditch the thermoquad by losing this carby and fitting a new modern holley you might get 9l to the 100k

I use to own a xc cobra back in the day (243) and change from the thermo to a holley vac sec and the only dif was the amount of fuel the holley used with no performance increase the thermo i have was recode about 10,000 k ago and runs like a dream as i have a machanic who loves them and can tune them well i can get 600 k out of a tank highway i was thinking of changing the manifold to just get a bit better responce without the cost of extra fuel buy changing to a holley with no performace change .

thanks for the responce. Adrian

i found when i built the 383 stroker for my EA i fitted a thermoquad i was getting 90ks to a 68 litre tank of fuel ,thing was an animal ,but i then got rid of the thermo ,and chucked on a 750 centre squirter holley carb ,i got 250k to a tank and it made the motor feel a lot more usable,around town

Depends on what thermoquad you get, they went as large as 830 cfm on big block Corvettes and sill make good economy if you keep those massive secondaries shut

i found when i built the 383 stroker for my EA i fitted a thermoquad i was getting 90ks to a 68 litre tank of fuel ,thing was an animal ,but i then got rid of the thermo ,and chucked on a 750 centre squirter holley carb ,i got 250k to a tank and it made the motor feel a lot more usable,around town

The centre squirters work great on on a street engine the requires a decent amount of airflow, it's all in the design of the booster venturis the have more of a knife edge At the bottom creating a far more responsive carb through a wider rpm range (I like them econ though I don't really like Holley carbs)

lol yeah it was a whole lot of fun i lived 11k from my old job 22k return everyday,by the time thursday morning came round id  fill her up ,ride the bike on friday ,dont start the ea on the weekend at all,lol 4 days out of one tank was a laugh ,mywife hated the thing,lol

lol yeah it was a whole lot of fun i lived 11k from my old job 22k return everyday,by the time thursday morning came round id  fill her up ,ride the bike on friday ,dont start the ea on the weekend at all,lol 4 days out of one tank was a laugh ,mywife hated the thing,lol

You must of had a bad setup you can tune them to the point of when and how the rear buckets pour the juice in  it's a case of finding a person that knows them well it sounds like yours was just using all 4 all the time. after it's last tune i drove from rosebud to beechworth 380 klm on half a tank using 98 oct and car was tuned for it.your beast sounds a bit hotter than mine but 95-100 wow thats poor.

You must of had a bad setup you can tune them to the point of when and how the rear buckets pour the juice in  it's a case of finding a person that knows them well it sounds like yours was just using all 4 all the time. after it's last tune i drove from rosebud to beechworth 380 klm on half a tank using 98 oct and car was tuned for it.your beast sounds a bit hotter than mine but 95-100 wow thats poor.

id agree 100% with you here ,i knew the thermoquad was in dyer need of a rebuild ,or replacement

this old 351 had propper 2v heads fitted with 460 valves ,not throated out,eldelbrok 2v manifold ,stroked to 383 ,ran a massive crane cam,,straight cuts, stud girdles,flat tops.balanced, block decked,was good fun ,had a great rev range just over idle to 6200rpm ,i wouldnt have called it quick,il stick with fun,

The thermo i have was recode about 10,000 k ago and runs like a dream as i have a machanic who loves them and can tune them well i can get 600 k out of a tank highway i was thinking of changing the manifold to just get a bit better responce without the cost of extra fuel buy changing to a holley with no performace change .

thanks for the responce. Adrian

Just my opinion, but why fix something that aint broken?

Id leave it as is. You have described a great working motor and that's what we all want and for the sake of 1 or 2 HP you want to change it? :wacko:

Totally up to you mate but id keep it as is. Your mechanic knows how to tune it and can get you 600K's per tank. Nah don't mod it just love it the way it is. :)

Oh tell us about the green laser, Palmer tube mills.

Just my opinion, but why fix something that aint broken?

Id leave it as is. You have described a great working motor and that's what we all want and for the sake of 1 or 2 HP you want to change it? :wacko:

Totally up to you mate but id keep it as is. Your mechanic knows how to tune it and can get you 600K's per tank. Nah don't mod it just love it the way it is. :)

Oh tell us about the green laser, Palmer tube mills.

Hi Thanks for the reply if all I'm going to get is 1 or 2 then no i won't change it.

The green beast is  my old hyundai work car and i didn't need it anymore so why not have some fun so i stripped her out and painted it for last years outlaw class at the all ford forums drag day at heathcote drags and did the standing 1/4 in 18.9 sec (WHOOOO) and took it to last years fun day at winton and had a ball. a must do bucket list thing.

Hyundai at drags listern to the beast roar.

fun day at winton