Sign in to follow this  
xebruce

bent pushrod ????????????

did pushrods and the heads got a recon. new everything. Cam and lifters seemed fine

you went that far and never did the cam and lifters, did you pull the cam and get it checked?

the thing is ,push rods bend from over revving or trying to make the motor rev harder,when it should,

with the cam the lifter run constantly,on the cam, and the push rods sit in the lifter, then the rocker sits on top of that

1 if the cam lobes are worn you will get slapping on the bottom of the lifter causing this to wear the bottom of the lifter to go egg shaped ,then in turn instead of the push rod moving in a smooth action it in turn is being slapped up to the underside of the rocker ,thus causing them to bend!  

Did you find the bent pushrod ??  (Roll them on a benchtop)

yep got them sorted

you went that far and never did the cam and lifters, did you pull the cam and get it checked?

never replaced a cam before. thought id just do the stuff I knew how to do. did it with it still in the car. looks like it might have to come out now and I might have to learn some new stuff.

the thing is ,push rods bend from over revving or trying to make the motor rev harder,when it should,

with the cam the lifter run constantly,on the cam, and the push rods sit in the lifter, then the rocker sits on top of that

1 if the cam lobes are worn you will get slapping on the bottom of the lifter causing this to wear the bottom of the lifter to go egg shaped ,then in turn instead of the push rod moving in a smooth action it in turn is being slapped up to the underside of the rocker ,thus causing them to bend!  

I pulled each lifter out one at a time and inspected them then put them back in the same hole. They all appeared flat and smooth.

the biggest problem is wear, i had a 351 many years ago did the same thing ,i changed all associated parts ,never happened again

the cam change is no biggy ,just take your time mark everything as you pull it down if your unsure take piccis with your phone for reference , 

I pulled each lifter out one at a time and inspected them then put them back in the same hole. They all appeared flat and smooth.

you can't tell if hydraulic lifters are good or bad by looking at them, you should have replaced them, the ends might look fine, but what about the internals of the lifters, they could be jam packed with burnt oil, near carbon and won't compress under load like they should, the centres of the lifters need to be able to compress. They could be running like solid lifters, this will bend push rods. I still reckon it is lifters

Sweet new cam and lifters it is then. Its a 302  edelbrock performer intake, 570 street avenger carb, Headers with  twin pipes and H pipe. 2 cobys. 2v closed chamber heads just done up. C4 auto. Still got the factory diff in it was an efi 6cly  manual ghia. no idea what sort of cam to get as I know nothing about them. Its just a weekend car for putting a smile on the face.

Make sure you talk to the right people and get a few opinions, really lumpy is not always to best for a road car.

And spend a few dollars extra and get anti-pump up lifters.