Sign in to follow this  
n00bus m@x1mus

Anyone with an AU 5.0L Please... i need a huge favour :(

OK so ive been round this block before but i never got any solid resolve but i need to align the cam angle sensor up to the crank and the ford manual says i need a synchronizer alignment tool to do the job but the only way i can get a hold of one is to buy a new sensor with the tool attached on ebay . 

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!BivGHUQBGk~$%28KGrHqQOKk!Esm4--qZ5BLQgT8QykQ~~_12.JPG

The tool is essentially a plastic cap that locks the internals of the sensor in place so it all lines up when you clamp it down... but what i propose is, if anyone out there can help???  Please can you set your crank to TDC1 and remove the coil packs then the pickup from the top of the sensor and take a picture for me of where the pickup tooth is in relation to the sensors housing....  a simple down the throat shot will be great thanks if anyone out there can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Most late model euro cars require a tool to line every thing up for the cam timing, a guess (even an educated one) would have to be lucky to line everything up perfectly.

Well i was told by someone it need to trip the pickup at 30deg btdc so i set the lead edge of the tooth up on the sensor at 30degs and it got no better. While it runs well enough economy is poor and it lacks guts... almost like the ignition timing is out or has little advance. So im hoping that i can resolve this.

Another person told me that it only checks for signal during cranking so it knows when to fire number one on the comp stroke and once started it can be unplugged and wont affect it at all. If that was the case why not have a tooth that is 180 degs wide like the EF 6? This one is around 5 degs wide at the most.

OK so ive been round this block before but i never got any solid resolve but i need to align the cam angle sensor up to the crank and the ford manual says i need a synchronizer alignment tool to do the job but the only way i can get a hold of one is to buy a new sensor with the tool attached on ebay . 

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!BivGHUQBGk~$%28KGrHqQOKk!Esm4--qZ5BLQgT8QykQ~~_12.JPG

The tool is essentially a plastic cap that locks the internals of the sensor in place so it all lines up when you clamp it down... but what i propose is, if anyone out there can help???  Please can you set your crank to TDC1 and remove the coil packs then the pickup from the top of the sensor and take a picture for me of where the pickup tooth is in relation to the sensors housing....  a simple down the throat shot will be great thanks if anyone out there can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll do it in the morning on my Au fairlaine of I have enough time before work

This looks to be more my cup of tea... it shows an alignment with a single tooth pointing straight at the centre of the mag pickup, not the leading or trailing edge but dead centre. 

otc-6470.gif

I'll do it in the morning on my Au fairlaine of I have enough time before work

Yes please mate.... your a champion of a man :hy:

Didn't get a chance to do it this morning, but while I was on the way to work I thought of something, have you checked the outer run on the balancer hasn't slipped? The trigger wheel is mounted on the outer ring and it's not too uncommon for them to turn and still run

Just checked then its spot on the mark. It went on the scan tool this arv and it was showing faults with the cam angle sensor and the primary/secondary winding on a coil pack.. ive got my suspicions as to which one it would be. And it showed the ego is lazy on the 2nd bank??? Which he says is the passanger side, the one that sits off set to the rear?? Is that right? Should replace both but i guess to be fair. It reads but is slow to respond.

So if i can work out this cam angle then hopefully that solves that one or else it is probably rooted and needs a new one of them too :(

Just checked then its spot on the mark. It went on the scan tool this arv and it was showing faults with the cam angle sensor and the primary/secondary winding on a coil pack.. ive got my suspicions as to which one it would be. And it showed the ego is lazy on the 2nd bank??? Which he says is the passanger side, the one that sits off set to the rear?? Is that right? Should replace both but i guess to be fair. It reads but is slow to respond.

So if i can work out this cam angle then hopefully that solves that one or else it is probably rooted and needs a new one of them too :(

2nd bank is the passenger side, coil packs are the same as a ztec focus

Hey cheers mate... does it run well and have decent economy in that posi?  Cause thats showing quite different to what i would have expected LOL  I would have thought it would be dead centre of that key way for the magnet looking at the tool layout.  I guess all i can do is try that point and see if the scan tool says yes on the CPS??  maybe it needs a good 90 degs or so to get ready for that first cycle.

Thanks mate, ill owe you one :D

Don't know too much about it's economy I haven't driven it very far, it's a smashed fairlaine I bought for the running gear, I do know that it hammers (like pull up turn the traction control off and stand on it it will spin the wheels through 1St &2nd gear) and as far as im aware they are standard leads, I was supposed myself to see the position of the sensor

Yeah i am too haha. I might try it there and see what happens. My plug ends have a plastic clip that houses the boots so it clicks into the socket. Im hoping i can get them off when i do the new leads without breaking them.

Yeah i am too haha. I might try it there and see what happens. My plug ends have a plastic clip that houses the boots so it clicks into the socket. Im hoping i can get them off when i do the new leads without breaking them.