mcfly94

Zl heater box working XE dash? (Air con switch/Vac lines)

Hey guys I have an xe dash with a zl heater box and I would love if I could get the air con working.

So far ive managed to setup the fan speed with 3 settings.

And fully adjustable temp control, custom thing, used from the zl air con pod and I fitted to xe single din area.

I now need to connect all the vac lines, and figure out how to wire the aircon switch.

Can anyone help?

I'll say it again too, ZL heater box is identical to XF one, just the Ghia Lane and LTD have an elec servo instead of manual one for the vent rod.

Make sure you aren't getting confused by that if you can't find ZL diagrams. XF is all the same.

I'll say it again too, ZL heater box is identical to XF one, just the Ghia Lane and LTD have an elec servo instead of manual one for the vent rod.

Make sure you aren't getting confused by that if you can't find ZL diagrams. XF is all the same.

acutally there not, I have schematics of ltd/ghia vac lines and there slightly different.

And theres more vac lines with xf than xe aswell im pretty sure.

And I don't know if I need to run the water valve solenoid, nor the vacuum canister found in xf.

Thats news to me, I converted one to the Ghia dash with the original heater box and it worked fine. Everything including the vac lines looked identical.

I reckon the XE heater box would be the easiest way. Thats what I'd do. Good luck anyway.

you do relise the xe firewall if diff to xf this was done to alter the heater box to make it more efficient for heating and cooling ,chuck the zl box away and use an el heater box thats what ive done but i modded my firewall  

what i meant to say was zl heat box is a lot older then the el ,and chances of getting a zl box to still have a usable condenser for the air is very unlikely,you could fit a el condenser  into the zl heater box but not having the step in the fire wall will make it hard ,ive got a heater air box from an xe that was working ,yours for free if you want it ,

from my memory(havent seen an XE heater box in ages) the vacuum motors that open the flaps etc are in the same spot and do the same as the XF. hook them into the same spot and it will probably work(i dont know what the ZL/Ghia blend motor does as i bin that part of it as i dont like the ghia dash)

what you might be able to do is fit the XD/XE back cover of the heater box to the ZL heater box? if so, it will be all as XE.

You have a XF/ZL heatrbox and an XE dash, but what is the actual car it is going in? This will determine what heaterbox you need.

an xf.

el box fit straight to xf your saying? no mod to box to bolt in?

if that's the case could I use this to control my air con

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-ef-el-climate-control-main-switch-/130929412053?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c0047d5#ht_23wt_1399

if I obvisouly got the high class heater box, or is there more to it? all I want is to be able to have air con in my car again!

I built an XF 15 years ago with an XE dash & complete wiring, xe front etc. the only things that remained XF was the shell, the rear bumper & rear seat. Any ways i fitted the XF evaporator/heater box, used all the xe vent controls as thats the dash i was using, i also modified the fan speed resister by cutting the guts out of the XF resister & gluing the guts of an XE resister into it. Both resisters are different!!!  

el box fit straight to xf your saying? no mod to box to bolt in?

if that's the case could I use this to control my air con

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-ef-el-climate-control-main-switch-/130929412053?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c0047d5#ht_23wt_1399

if I obvisouly got the high class heater box, or is there more to it? all I want is to be able to have air con in my car again!

el heater box is a direct bolt in all pipes come out the same outlets all bolts line up to firewall, easy as ,

no modds to get it in

when i stipped donor el i took the sound deadner sheet off the fire wall and put it in my x and bingo it all matched so i mock fitted the heater box straight in ,salso the manual pedal box bolts straight in as well from the el

I just been looking and reading around and I wonder if it was possible to fit the lower series xf dash controls in the xe din, and just go back to normal xf heater box.

I have vac line schematics and wiring diagram for that.

All I want is to be able to use xe din, and have vac lines all hooked up so I can get air con regased.

I have done this as my XD is actually an XF shell, my old XD shell was to rusty, so I used all the XD gear on an XF shell.

I wired the fan by using the XF resistor box.

When the A/C is switched on it will also turn the fan on at its slowest speed, this hapens on XD, XE or XF.

I have wired mine so that when the A/C is switched on I get what is the slowest speed in an XF.

My stock XD-E fan switch is now set up so that on what would be XD-E slowest speed is equivilent to XF 2nd speed, XD-E 2nd speed is equal to XF 3rd speed, XD-E 3rd Is equal to XF 4th speed.

I have a wiring diagram that I drew somewhere I will find it and post it up.

To get the temperature control to work I used a XF Ghia/ ZL blend door motor, I then gutted a ZL dash pod for the temp control slider (linear pot), I did a cut and shut on the XD-E temp control to fit the ZL slider, then fitted the wiring needed (striped from ZL harness) between the slider and the blend door motor to get it working, there is also a heater tap solenoid that is part of this set up.

My vacuum hoses are closer the XF Ghia/ZL than anything else but more custom, as I set up the XD-E drivers side footwell vent switch (the A/C switch is in the passenger side vent switch on A/C cars) to control the footwell vents on both sides (like an XF does if the A/C and vent control switch is pointing down).

In your case you should be able to connect it like an XD-E, you may need to tee the XD-E white vac hose at the footwell/recirc vent into both sides of the vacuum motor to get fresh/recirc working properly.

If your XE dash had A/C the wiring should be there, look behind the glove box for a Red/Yellow (off memory) wire, this wire conects to the thermostat, from the thermostat a black wire goes to the high/ low pressure switch then to the compressor.

This is hard to explain over the internet, so I hope this helps you in some way.

If I had photos I would post them but back when I did this I didnt have a digital camera, so I didnt bother taking photos, I did write some of this down so I will try and find it and post it.

Can the XE box be fitted to the XF? Or does it foul the firewall? If I'm going to do this I just want it all to fit up and plug in like factory.

they foul