Sign in to follow this  
Tyler06

Anyone rolled their own guards?

One of the few things i need to fix on SNAIL ETR before i refit the new engine is my guards. When i turn corners even slightly they rub hard so wanna give it a go my self but the question is how? Can i just use the heat gun and tap them in haha? If you know how then help a brother out ;-)

i do it all the time ,one thing to remember is DO NOT CUT THE INNER GUARD

just get a hammer and start to tap up the inner lip but do not lip the whole guard onyl the area were you need it not to rub,

if u need more info ask ,cheers

I done a real backyard job... Used a baseball bat, had a mate hold it as I edged forwards... Worked fine. Cracked the paint right on the edges, but needs repainting anyway.

Did u use a heat gun

I done a real backyard job... Used a baseball bat, had a mate hold it as I edged forwards... Worked fine. Cracked the paint right on the edges, but needs repainting anyway.

not being rude ,but this method has the ability to crush the  guards and pulling them outta shape

if i was doing one of my Fairlanes i would probably consider the guard roller. But doing it on my Datto i didnt care as much. But really a $15 heat gun and a $5 rubber mallet did the job very well.

Cause i was going anywhere without them rolled that was for sure!

yeh i seen guard rollers that attach to the hub and you simply just apply pressure to them and keep rolling it around the guards edge. untill you get to the right roll you want
theres a video on it here

its done just after the 23 minute mark

The guard rollers are the best you could do. It's what most of the pros use. You still need some heat on the paint so it wont crack