RM351

What's the deal with my crankshaft?

I was doing a closer inspection on the crankshaft and I've noticed 6 small unusual holes on the journals. This from a late Cleveland block, is this something they did at the factory or from a previous engine owner and what would be the point of this?

The journals are all standard size.

20240327-095006.jpg

20240327-095052.jpg

20240327-095221.jpg

20240327-095406.jpg

that is definatly an x file,maybe something was dropped on it or slightly dented the crank and someone did a small drill to smooth it out ? dont think its going to affect a std engine,just for a talking point DJ used to use a tiny drill bit on his forged pistons if they developed a crack so it would not go any further ,just goes to show how much of a budget the team was on in the early days.

Ok thanks guys I'm taking it to a machinist soon, a little worried he would say "bin it".

If that happens it's going to be fun finding a decent crank for a good price.

1 hour ago, gregaust said:

Then it's time for a stroker crank :) 

I've jumped the gun a bit, already bought a set of pistons to suit. Most stroker kits sell with .030 size pistons I need .020 size ones so I'll need to buy in bits.

Looks like a Brinnel hardness test gone wrong, as Thom said, and someone didn't use sleeves over the rod bolts when installing the pistons. (Small chatter marks). The crank should be OK if it was in a running engine, it would have failed by now for sure. Just need to make sure there are no sharp edges around the dents, use a 5 or 6 mm drill bit BY HAND, and slower chamfer the 'holes' then linish the journals with some emery tape etc.